We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropical storm ?

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Tropical storm ?

Hi,

we are going to Playa del carmen from August 21th to 28th and now I saw this :

www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml…

and...I'm freaking out.... What's the usual pattern of tropical storm. Should I worry ?

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
28 replies to this topic
Sarf London
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropical storm ?

Hi there . We arrived from the U.K into Mexico at the Grand Bahia Principe Coba on 3rd of Aug 17 and on the fifth day we had a tropical storm and mini hurricane. The rain lasted around 30 hours along with the strong winds and we were based 25 minutes away from Playa Del Carmen . You are a lot nearer to the sea than we were. Our hotel moved all the entertainment inside . We didnt want to leave the hotel in those conditions so take care if you do decide to venture out which I wouldn't advise. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
14,566 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
45,184 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropical storm ?

Had the SAME type of storm 2 weeks ago -2+ days of wind and rain

To read about this upcoming storm HARVEY and the one 2 weeks ago, read this thread]

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g499445…

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
45,184 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropical storm ?

This storm looks farther south so likely less impact

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
7,429 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropical storm ?

Good point from VSD; this storm is projected to come ashore even further South than the storm about 2 weeks ago. I would not worry and would be sure to pack lots of sunscreen. Safe travels.

¡Diviértanse!

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
9,145 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropical storm ?

Welcome to the forum, vinceboulet. No need to freak out about any tropical storm. :-) And actually, freaking out doesn't help even if you have a cat 2 (or greater) hurricane heading right towards you. But that would be about the time to start paying more attention and taking appropriate steps. We're just likely to have wet, messy weather as Harvey approaches/passes.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropical storm ?

THanks guys

In fact, I'm freaking not because I fear the storm but because I paid of lot of money for my hotel and I don't want a full week of rain :(

North East England...
Level Contributor
190 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropical storm ?

I had storm like weather when hurricane carlos hit the west coast it usually over in 24-48 hours sea condition bit longer just keep watching the updates im off to cuba on 31st aug for 14 night

Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
3,719 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tropical storm ?

vince: the graphic is one thing but here is another option from NOAA to watch a disturbance. You can come back at anytime, even a week from now, and click this link as it continually updates itself.

www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/carb/flash-wv.html

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
9,145 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tropical storm ?

"I'm freaking not because I fear the storm but because I paid of lot of money for my hotel and I don't want a full week of rain :( "

Well that does not appear likely at present, and is rare indeed even during this season. But ultimately if this is a worry for you, especially travelling to this area of the world during this time of year, you'll want trip insurance with an appropriate cancellation option related to weather (or a cancel for any reason option)...

Edited: 19 August 2017, 14:55
Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tropical storm ?

yeah I already have it. I can cancel 3 hours before departure but it's our well deserved vacations and we planned it in May. Cancelling it and staying at home would be even worst ! ;)

Edited: 19 August 2017, 15:30
Reply to: Tropical storm ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted