Hi there . We arrived from the U.K into Mexico at the Grand Bahia Principe Coba on 3rd of Aug 17 and on the fifth day we had a tropical storm and mini hurricane. The rain lasted around 30 hours along with the strong winds and we were based 25 minutes away from Playa Del Carmen . You are a lot nearer to the sea than we were. Our hotel moved all the entertainment inside . We didnt want to leave the hotel in those conditions so take care if you do decide to venture out which I wouldn't advise. Hope this helps.
This storm looks farther south so likely less impact
Good point from VSD; this storm is projected to come ashore even further South than the storm about 2 weeks ago. I would not worry and would be sure to pack lots of sunscreen. Safe travels.
Welcome to the forum, vinceboulet. No need to freak out about any tropical storm. :-) And actually, freaking out doesn't help even if you have a cat 2 (or greater) hurricane heading right towards you. But that would be about the time to start paying more attention and taking appropriate steps. We're just likely to have wet, messy weather as Harvey approaches/passes.
In fact, I'm freaking not because I fear the storm but because I paid of lot of money for my hotel and I don't want a full week of rain :(
I had storm like weather when hurricane carlos hit the west coast it usually over in 24-48 hours sea condition bit longer just keep watching the updates im off to cuba on 31st aug for 14 night
vince: the graphic is one thing but here is another option from NOAA to watch a disturbance. You can come back at anytime, even a week from now, and click this link as it continually updates itself.
"I'm freaking not because I fear the storm but because I paid of lot of money for my hotel and I don't want a full week of rain :( "
Well that does not appear likely at present, and is rare indeed even during this season. But ultimately if this is a worry for you, especially travelling to this area of the world during this time of year, you'll want trip insurance with an appropriate cancellation option related to weather (or a cancel for any reason option)...Edited: 19 August 2017, 14:55
yeah I already have it. I can cancel 3 hours before departure but it's our well deserved vacations and we planned it in May. Cancelling it and staying at home would be even worst ! ;)Edited: 19 August 2017, 15:30