We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My general Rant about my vacation...

okotoks
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
My general Rant about my vacation...

I am so stressed out from planning this vacation that I am sick to my stomach. Here's my situation:

I have a cheap husband!! There is a group of four of us - we are getting two rooms. I want to go to Playa del Carmen (or close to it) - leaving anytime between april 6th- 11th.

RE: my cheap husband - he is insisting that we buy last minute because he's insisting on getting a deal. I'd prefer a 4 star hotel -- I've resigned myself to accepting a 3.5 star hotel because all of the good 4 star hotels in that area are taken, or out of his "price range".

Has anyone ever stayed at these 3.5 star rated hotels? Please please... someone tell me that buying this last minute for THAT week is a good idea...

I just need reassurance. Every travel agent I've spoken with is telling me it's a bad idea - it's a very busy travel week - and I can't convince my group otherwise.

At this point, I don't even want to go on vacation. Please someone tell me good things about these 3.5 star hotels...??

Iowa
Level Contributor
949 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: My general Rant about my vacation...

are you referring to the apple or funjet deals where you don't know where you're going until the last minute-just the star quality? If so, there was recently a post on www.playa.info by a TA who recommended against doing it. Otherwise-do you have the names of these hotels?

Chicago - Western...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: My general Rant about my vacation...

Have you checked out site59.com. Just booked with them today. If your dates are a little flex. you can get a GREAT deal...only downside migh be longer flights and fewer room choice, but worth a look.

Level Contributor
137 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My general Rant about my vacation...

This is over Easter break....might be a tough time to find any last minute deals. Just a thought. I booked for April 9 - 17 back in July.

Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: My general Rant about my vacation...

What is your price range and from where? For how many nights? As far as booking last minute, your almost there,lol.

Best of luck,

John

Burleson, Texas
Level Contributor
367 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My general Rant about my vacation...

Have hubby stay home. Get someone to go with you, like...me.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
528 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My general Rant about my vacation...

If it is possible to go different dates, you shoud try waiting til the end of April or May, prices will go down for the start of low season.

Don't let it stress you out, just go with it and have fun!

CLEVELAND, OH
Level Contributor
328 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My general Rant about my vacation...

Go after May 1 when rates go down - you are going during Easter and it will not work well for you unless you want to pay alot of $$$$ and want to deal with mass crowds

okotoks
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My general Rant about my vacation...

well...

He is insisting on going between April 6-11th firm. He won't leave anytime later than that.

I just found out (FINALLY!!) that he won't go any higher than $1800.00 CDN (leaving from Calgary) for a 4 star hotel.

when he says $1800.00 he really means 15 or 16K. Does anyone know a good divorce lawyer while I am here??!! LOL jk.

The good hotels are mostly gone. He thinks I am being a freak because I am insisting on buying now. He won't.

I've spent nearly 12 hours researching 4 star hotels - has anyone here stayed at a 3.5 star hotel that they enjoyed?

I've just informed him that he can kiss my back side and I'll plan this vacation when he has a credit card in hand ready to buy.. until then I am done with this!!!

Tequilaman... let's go!!

Iowa
Level Contributor
949 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: My general Rant about my vacation...

Stars according to what criteria? Tripadvisor, Expedia, Apple, etc. They all rate a little differently. $1800 for the 2 of you?

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My general Rant about my vacation...

If you want a less expensive vacation with a 4 or 5 star resort maybe you should check into a different area. Punta Cana in the Dominican has some great resorts for a little less than Mexico or even Cuba would be worth looking at.