We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel safes not 'safe'?

Boston
13 posts
Save Topic
Hotel safes not 'safe'?

I'll be leaving in two days for Playa and can't wait. However, i've been reading the forums for my hotel (Sandos Caracol Beach) over the last couple of days and there have been many entries on money being stolen from room safes. From what most people seem to be saying, it seems like it is the security guards--who have master keys to the safes--that seem to be the culprits. People have also noted that they've encountered security guards with other staff coming out of their rooms with 'excuses' of why they were there, or worse still, people were in their rooms when security came in on them--obviously they thought no-one was home.

Does this type of thing go on at other hotels? Almost all of the posts say not to trust the safes. It's causing me quite some concern since I'll be travelling along and would love some input.

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel safes not 'safe'?

We stay at the Yucatan and once we thought we had lost our safe key. The desk said they would have to cut the lock off because there was no master key for the safes. We've never even suspicioned anyone getting into our safe.

MJo
Spring Grove, IL
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel safes not 'safe'?

When I stayed at the Gran Bahia Princie, I also thought I lost my key and inquired at the front desk. You had to fill out paperwork, have manager approval, get a Locksmith to come....it was really a big process. So, I decided to look one more time for my key, and luckily, I found it. Otherwise it would have cost $100 too.

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
809 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel safes not 'safe'?

Hi DiveGirl, I read the same post and gives me concerns as well. I've stayed in different A!'s over the last 5 years and never had a problem leaving my important papers and TC's in the safe but now I'm wondering.Maybe this was an isolated incedent. I hope anyways!

sf bay area
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel safes not 'safe'?

Hi Divegirl,

If the hotel has a bad reputation, you may just want to hold onto everything. I trust the safe at the resort where I stay, but my daughter did not lock her passport in the hotel safe and it was stolen by the staff ( I presume ). I reported it to the resort manager and the US homeland security. I feel safe when I'm in Playa. Safe enough to travel alone.

Margie

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel safes not 'safe'?

All of the room safes that we've had were digital combinations. Never had a key. Each new guest programs their own code in.

I'm assuming it's safe. Never had anything stolen.

Brainerd, MN
Level Contributor
229 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel safes not 'safe'?

We stayed at the RIU Tequila and two years ago the RIU Yucatan. We have stayed twice in Ixtapa and Mazanillo and have in the 5 times in Mexico never had a problem with the safe. I believe there are isolated incidents - but I would trust the safe over keeping it with me in my pool bag and drinking too many tequila's and leaving my bag unattended. There are always stories out there - just like there is in America.

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
354 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel safes not 'safe'?

Having worked in management at a few upscale resorts (4 star and above), here is the truth as I've witnessed. Safes that require key access: usually management has an extra key, despite the fact that they tell you that you will be responsible for having a lock smith come. Safes with electronic programable codes: Again management has a device which can over ride the code and open the safe. Most of the time the extra keys and the device are held by someone in upper management. This is especailly true, with regards to the electrical device, as this is expensive equipment. Keys to safes are another issue, as many employees can have access to the actual key to each lock and they are then able to have these copied without anyone, or very few others knowing about this. My recommendation is to ask if the hotel has a safety deposit box at the front desk which you can use. This then places the liability on the resort, as each time it is opened an employee is there to witness. Another is to utilize the Do Not Disturb sign. A resort which uses key cards to open rooms can then trace back each time the door was opened/closed and by whom (employee code of key card used). That will tell you if anyone entered your room while your DND sign was posted on your door, and this can be a major liability to any hotel. Hope this info helps.

Boston
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel safes not 'safe'?

Thank you everyone for you input. I'm glad to hear that no-one has had bad experiences and these few posts were isolated events.

Thanks to KookRick for your inside knowledge and some good recommendations. I'll definitely ask to use the hotel safe - if only for peace of mind - and keep a smaller amount of money in my room safe.

Thanks again and if anyone else has experience at the Sandos Caracol I'd still love to hear from you.

Manitoba
Level Contributor
497 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel safes not 'safe'?

We were at the Grand Gala Esmeralda in January and while we were there some thefts from locked safes happened. They were the kind that you had to punch in the numbers. One of the people that had stuff stolen from their locked safe was a employee that stayed at the hotel.

MJo
Spring Grove, IL
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel safes not 'safe'?

DiveGirl, you are probably already at the resort, but I just ran into a young, hip girl who's father owns a Travel Agency and she has been to at least 15 all-inclusive resorts. She just returned from Sandos Caracol for the 2nd time and said although it's only a 4* property, that it is her favorite. She loves the food and even liked it better than the Iberostar Lindo.

I thought that this was interesting and wanted to share.

And, for some people who might otherwise pass up this property due to its star rating, you might want to give it a try. I know it has peaked my interest.