We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean Riviera Paradise or Riu Yucatan?

3 posts
Ocean Riviera Paradise or Riu Yucatan?

Hi guys

I'd really appreciate your advice!

We're hoping to book a trip to PDC and have come across two hotels which we can't seem to decide between- the Riu Yucatan in Playacar and the Ocean Riviera Paradise, a little further up the coast.

Anyone have advice on either / both? We are a couple in our early 30s looking for a nice resort located on the beach, with good food (I have a gluten sensitivity so something that caters for that) and lots of opportunity to either relax or get involved with activities nearby, which this area seems to have. The time of year we are looking at going, the prices are about the same for both hotels, and we obviously want to make the best choice as we have never been to Mexico before!

Both hotels look good, the decor in the Ocean Riviera Paradise looks as though it's a little more up to date than the Riu Yucatan, but the room on offer is in the Daisy Section which is aimed at families, anyone have any experience of this? Is it ok for couples or does it get quite noisy? Although the time of year we are looking to go is not in the school holidays (for the UK or US).

The Yucatan looks as though it is in a great location, how about the Ocean Riviera Paradise?

If anyone has any tips or info I'll be really grateful!

12 replies to this topic
Calgary
Level Contributor
752 posts
30 reviews
85 helpful votes
1. Re: Ocean Riviera Paradise or Riu Yucatan?

Riu Yucatan over ORP.

Too much "class" separation at ORP. Everyone is treated the same at Riu's.

Beach is so tiny at ORP and water is rocky, and not near enough chairs by it.

Beach and food much better at Riu and you can explore a couple other Riu properties near RY.

My vacation at ORP is in my bottom 2 of 20+ all-inclusives.

Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
8,159 posts
155 reviews
188 helpful votes
2. Re: Ocean Riviera Paradise or Riu Yucatan?

I think you will get a better feel for the differences between the two by reading many of the reviews. We like Playacar because it's close to town, but we love Xcalacoco Beach where the ORP is located and it's just an $85 - 100 peso ($5US) 10 min taxi into Playa. But do a bit more research to get a good feel for both.

Have you considered a boutique hotel as an option? Petit Lafitte is one that is on Xcalacoco Beach if interested.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
418 posts
134 reviews
101 helpful votes
3. Re: Ocean Riviera Paradise or Riu Yucatan?

OPR for sure! They ask and cater to food allergies at every meal.

As far as the "class differences" the other poster mentions, we happen to like that. We like that we get our own restaurant, pool, bar, beach area, buttler service and priority on dinner reservations. We also like that we don't pay for top shelf liquor and get jacuzzi service if we want it. Bottom line here is only YOU know what makes a vacation one you will enjoy. The deal we got here was unbelievable (less than $85 a day per person for Privilege) and has been VERY worth it. Remember, the best deal is not always bundled with airfare,

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
418 posts
134 reviews
101 helpful votes
4. Re: Ocean Riviera Paradise or Riu Yucatan?

My guess is the other poster did not have privilege but expected to be treated like they did. That is not going to happen no matter where you are staying - not at this price point or close to it anyway. Honestly, the food here is every bit as good as El Dorado Seaside was and that resort is double to triple what we paid for here.

Beach is not "tiny" by any stretch. LOL We have been here 8 days and never once had an issue getting a palapa in privilege and some days we did not go down to the beach until 10 or so. Never had an issue getting an umbrella or chaises at the pool either.

Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
8,159 posts
155 reviews
188 helpful votes
5. Re: Ocean Riviera Paradise or Riu Yucatan?

We have a home just west of ORP and so we use Xcalacoco Beach often. There are both rocky and sandy areas between Princess to the north and La Reve and Sandos to the south. You can walk all the way to Playa but that's not advisable of course. But you can walk quite far north and south if you want to find a quieter stretch of beach one day.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
378 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Ocean Riviera Paradise or Riu Yucatan?

I'm a travel agent that has received poor trip reports back from a couple of clients that stayed at ORP, so I doubt I'll be recommending it to anyone in the near future. Riu Yucatan is a good mid-level AI, remodeled a couple of years ago, good beach, close to down town Playa.

Edited: 23 February 2018, 17:05
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
418 posts
134 reviews
101 helpful votes
7. Re: Ocean Riviera Paradise or Riu Yucatan?

I’d be interested to know what complex your clients stayed in and what level. This is the 6th AI we’ve stayed at Riviera Maya and the only one we’d return to in the low to mid price range. The other we would revisit is El Dorado Seaside and it’s 2-3 times the cost.

Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
8,159 posts
155 reviews
188 helpful votes
8. Re: Ocean Riviera Paradise or Riu Yucatan?

We see totally opposite reports on places we've been so extensive research (or at least advice from more than one source or TA) is smart.

Edited: 24 February 2018, 02:42
JOHNSTOWN, PA
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
129 reviews
104 helpful votes
9. Re: Ocean Riviera Paradise or Riu Yucatan?

We visited the Riu Yucatan years ago when we stayed at Riu Tequila. We are going to OPR this year as we like their sister resort OCT. Although we liked Riu Yucatan and spent most of our time their verses the Riu Tequila because it was on the beach we probably wouldn't return. We really like the Riu chain but there were lot of bugs from the jungle surrounding it. At Riu Yucatan there is no separate place for adults only. We used the kids areas at Riu Yucatan and a lot of kids did that because it was close to the beach. I think you will have more restaurant choices at OPR and a bigger selection of pools. They really seem like two very different types of resorts.

Leicestershire...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
6 helpful votes
10. Re: Ocean Riviera Paradise or Riu Yucatan?

Which did you pick,? were staying orp

In July for a fortnight with 2 kids. We were looking at the rius also but went with orp in end, Just looked better and more facilities/newer.....that said thow i didn't take into account it's a $90 taxi fair away from the town..... I've just picked up on that in your replys

Reply to: Ocean Riviera Paradise or Riu Yucatan?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted