We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Sandos Playacar

Astoria,OR
Level Contributor
327 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Back from Sandos Playacar

Will post a review in a day or two. Believe me the resort has the best beach! The other resorts to the north were in sad shape beach wise. Weather was great-will try to answer any questions

Leeds, West...
Level Contributor
475 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from Sandos Playacar

Hi Hope you had a great holiday ................

i have just posted a question on this forum regarding hotels etc ( today ... in this forum under first time title )

please could you give me some insight into the Sandos because i am always coming across it on websites etc

how long did you go for ? did you do any of the Excursions etc ? and was you far from the beach from your room / villa etc

thank you i look forward to hearing from you

regards

x Michelle ( Leeds , UK )

Astoria,OR
Level Contributor
327 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from Sandos Playacar

Sandos is in an area called Playacar, there are numerous resorts in this area, from what I saw Sandos has by far the best beach, lots of room, lots of palapas to sit under and our room was oceanfront, just steps away from the beach. The resort is not "fancy" but very nice and very clean. We paid for the Royal Club category, not sure how much extra that was, but it did guarantee us an oceanfront room and an area reserved on the beach. The town of Playa Del Carmen is quite a walk away I thought so we used a taxi both ways ($5.00 US) there is everything there you can imagine. We did not do excursions but you could make arrangements for any of them right at the resort. Have no idea from your part of the world who to make reservations with but if you have available to you Apple or Funjet vacations, they seem to do a lot of business with the resort. We just went to relax, have good food and drinks, which we did. We usually stay at Adults Only resorts but the ones in PDC were very expensive so we choose Sandos, there are alot of kids there but by having the Royal Club category it did give us a beach area with adults only and the rooms were for adults only in this section. The room had a good size balcony which we used alot, there are 2 buffets for breakfast and lunch, one for dinner and 3 ala carte restaurants for dinner. There is only one bar that you can sit around in the evening. There are 2 bars on the beach open during the day, they have waiters for beach service but you can get your own at any time also. If you have any specific questions I will try to answer. If you plan on spending much of your time on the beach, I would consider this resort, I would have been disapointed if we had stayed at one of the "nicer" resorts that had a tiny strip of beach in front.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from Sandos Playacar

Mhahn--Am interested in IBT next door---someone recently staying at Sandos in March counted his steps down to the water's edge at noon at the Sandos and counted 91--ie say 91 ft width---based on that ,what would you guesstimate the width of the IBT beach to be going back to the start of their sand?

Astoria,OR
Level Contributor
327 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from Sandos Playacar

The IBT next door to the Sandos has about 1/4 less beach front than Sandos, thats about the best I can desribe it- there is still beach for loungers but they did not have have any palapas to be under and the lounge chairs were very close to each other. But after that resort the beach really declines in size. Hope this helps some

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
394 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from Sandos Playacar

We stayed at the IBT March 31-Apr 14 and there was plenty of beach, as well as palapas to be under! We stayed at the Sandos last year, and in my opinion, the Tucan wins hands down! Overall so much nicer!

6. Re: Back from Sandos Playacar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 12:22