We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Tucan

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
maryland
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Iberostar Tucan

I just posted this message under someone else's and thought I might get more info by making it a new posting.

I am interested in finding out a little about the Tucan. Eleven of us are going the end of August (have to go when the schools are on summer break). I know, I know, hotter than hades, I'm sure. We are booked at the Tucan, via United Vacations.

A few of my questions:

How about the heat and humidity? How is the hotel set up for the weather in August (i.e., good air conditioning in rooms, restaurants, etc)?

Are there coffee pots in the rooms?

What about electrical outlets - will our American appliances fit these outlets (i.e., fans, coffee pots, hair dryers, etc)?

Any other info about the Tucan would be appreciated. We have a few golfers and fishermen in our group, as well as 3 children (6, 7, 10).

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Tucan

Hot and humid but tolerable. Buffets and some speciality resturants are not AC but you can live with it. The rooms are easily cooled and we had no problems with that. You'll always find one though where the AC is on the fritz.

Yes coffee service in your room. Electrical outlets are US varity, but I always bring along a light extension cord. Believe me, it might come in handy.

alberta
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Tucan

Our family is planning a trip to Mexico in Dec. Have been looking at the Tucan. Am wondering about all the walking though. We have 2-2yr. olds and 2 babies in the group so which building would you recommend? How far is this resort from PDC?

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
394 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Tucan

This would be the perfect spot for babies and toddlers. There is a playground and kid's pool right near each other and lots of shady spots around both. It's a great resort for families, I highly recommend it!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
418 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Tucan

Hi, I'm in MD too! Staying at Tucan in Oct. so I can't address your questions. But I think you'll love it. Stayed at Iberostar Delmar last year and loved it, so I'm expecting more of the same this year. Hey, it's cheaper then staying in OC for the week! I'm not sure if it can be any hotter then here in Aug.!

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
394 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Tucan

Sorry, more answers. Don't worry about the walking. Request to be in a building close to the pool (we were in Bldg 11- great location) , then you'll be near where you'll want to be for most of the day, and only have to walk to get to supper. Breakfast and lunch are both available close to the pool/beach. You can use strollers etc on the paths that are on the outer borders of the resort and not have to try to navigate them on the jungle paths. The Tucan is a 5 minute taxi ride from Playa Del Carmen.

maryland
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Tucan

Thank you all for your quick response. I'm sure we've made the right choice. We are a family of eleven: my three daugthers, their husbands and 3 children under the age of 10. We do party toegther alot, so hopefully, the heat won't deter us!!!

Crabby, you're absolutely right - August in MD is no picnic, so I'm sure it will be fine - just feel for the golfers - will be hot inland trying to golf!! I'll be fine as I plan to spend all my time either on the beach or at the pool with a margarita or corona in hand , with my daughters, watching the grandkids having fun!!

Has anyone done the deep sea fishing?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Tucan

Windy are you from Lethbridge by chance!

Bel Air Maryland
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar Tucan

The Playacar golf course is right down the street from the Tucan/Quetzal.

Non-motorized water sports are included with the resort- we took out a catamaran, and had a blast.

Snorkeling is not so great- you may see a few small fish, but nothing exciting. If you want to snorkel- take the ferry to Cozumel or go to Puerta Adventuras on a charter.

Ewing, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar Tucan

When you go to a non air conditioned restaraunt, make sure to get a table directly under a ceiling fan, helps out a lot. Maybe it's because it was my first snorkeling experience, but we went on the snorkel outing right from the hotel and had an absolute blast, saw plenty of fish.

alberta
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberostar Tucan

Can't answer your ?'s as I haven't been to this resort yet. Am thinking about taking my family in Dec. Can anyone tell me if the resort has strollers available so that my daughter in laws don't need to take theirs. I remember someone mentioning that there was a resort offering this option. Anybody know? Also wondering if you need to make reservations in advance for restaurants? Thanx