We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keeping money safe and dry on the beach?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Topic
Keeping money safe and dry on the beach?

Going to PDC for a week in July -- and staying a La Tortuga. What do most people use to keep their valuables safe and dry on the beach? Please no lectures on not bringing stuff -- I won't be taking my camera and diamonds :-) just some cash for food and drinks. Do they have mini lockers at any of the beach clubs (I've been to places with that). Or am I better off looking for a waterproof wallet? I think we will have passes to Mamitas.

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keeping money safe and dry on the beach?

They do have those little vaults that hang around your neck but I never use them. However I always give up on keeping bills dry. A few hundred pesos folded lengthwise fit in a hat band easily. It's easily concealed and buried in the sand beneath your lounge too. Myself I just clump up the bills and the suit has a zippered pocket.

Don't recall any lockers but haven't been to Kool yet. Maybe the room card and a debit/credit card would coexist in a quiet corner and not be noticed.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,134 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keeping money safe and dry on the beach?

Here is an example of the neck container:

impression.ca/products/Water_Proof_Holder.htm

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keeping money safe and dry on the beach?

We just put the cash in husbands swim suit pocket that zips shut.

It gets wet, but doesn't hurt anything.

Some of the peso paper money feel like it's made out of plastic and getting it wet doesn't hurt it at all. (The 20 peso )

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
77 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keeping money safe and dry on the beach?

I did the same thing as Debbie. My husband would throw a few singles in his bathing suit for tipping. Wet or dry doesn't matter.

I didn't hear of anyone having problems with beach bags. Only throwing them on the ground to steal your chair. So if you wanted to conceal some money there as well. I had my eye out for the people selling jewelry on the beach. So I brought a little extra one day.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
924 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Keeping money safe and dry on the beach?

It was never a big concern for us. Usually we would go to Mamitas, order some libations, and make nice with some of our fellow beachgoers. That way they keep an eye on your stuff. We just buried our pesos in the bottom of our backpack. Also, chances are you will not be going out THAT far in the surf in case some hanky panky went down. Have fun on your trip and let us know if that carry necklace looks good...

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Keeping money safe and dry on the beach?

The 20 peso bills and the newer 50 peso bills are made of plastic so they are waterproof. I try to stick to those and I just shove them in my bathing suit. Other than my cash and a room key, I can't think of anything else I could need on a beach.

Eventhough the bills dry really quick, I have yet to experience someone turning down money because it is wet.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Keeping money safe and dry on the beach?

This is all good advice. Thanks so much. It sounds like I can get buy w/out blowing $40 at REI for a waterproof wallet that I'll use like once a year.

Oregon
Level Contributor
91 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Keeping money safe and dry on the beach?

YOu know a good zip lock baggie stuck in a pocket works great!

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
924 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Keeping money safe and dry on the beach?

Actually, I've tried the ziplock baggy thing at a water park and it failed miserably. Perhaps I needed to double bag it?

Grand Lake, Colorado
Level Contributor
603 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Keeping money safe and dry on the beach?

Great question! Also, do thet accept credit cards at the beach clubs? Can you just give them your card for the day while you are there and they can run a tab, or is that a bad idea?