We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oh No! Another "Where to stay" topic!

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Idaho
2 posts
Save Topic
Oh No! Another "Where to stay" topic!

Help!

Okay, guys and gals, I and my family are headed South Saturday and I am starting to panic a bit.

We're booked for a week at the Fairmont Mayakoba PDC thru Expedia because it really was rated well there, but I am seeing lots of so-so and downright negative reviews! (learned about this site too late I guess :-( ) I really want my wife to have a great trip because she has been going thru some rough times lately, she needs a break and has never been to Mexico.

We have the trip insurance and, as best I can tell, can change once at no or minimal cost...

My sons are 23 and 15, we are looking for a place with a good beach and plan to do some snorkeling and a whole lot of veg-by-the-pool-or-on-the-beach-with-drink-in-hand stuff. We're plenty willing to go outside the resort for food, at least part of the time, so all-inclusive seems like perhaps not the best idea. I've scoped out the "where to eat" threads already.

Ideas????

Thanks muchly!

Jeff

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oh No! Another "Where to stay" topic!

Sure you can hop the cab into Playa for dinner and it is a 15 minute ride. You'll start to want to spend more time outside the resort tho (Do you play golf?) even tho the rooms and beach and everything in general should be ok. I had friends that stayed there and they enjoyed it. They stocked up on booze and mix and had a great time. It is more of a corporate hideaway type of resort. So the dollar will rule. If that is a problem than another resort may have more value.

Covi's is a good liquor store (Constituyentes and Hiway 307 as you come into Playa) with good no haggle prices. Also if you are there more than 3-4 days spend a day at Xel-Ha. All-inclusive and all will enjoy it. www.xel-ha.com

You should get lots of comments on your post ...I'll stand by and let'em chat.

Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oh No! Another "Where to stay" topic!

We stayed during spring break, wife, and 2 kids, (13,17yrs) all had a great time. We veged at the pool and beach the whole trip, the kids rented Jet Ski’s right next to the hotel one day, (just ask the lifeguard to call for the Jet Ski’s). We rented a car “hertz” right at the airport, so we could drive to PDC for dinner. Only went into PDC 2 nights. Yes drinks of all kinds are spendy, but you could stock up at a market in town.. We were lucky to get upgraded to a room by the beach, but 80% of the rooms are about a mile from the beach, but the golf carts were always near by. No worries, we are very picky travelers, and we loved the beach and the hotel. Again it is very expensive, so if that’s a factor, it may determine your perspective, so plan accordingly. Dorian10@aol

Virginia
Level Contributor
194 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oh No! Another "Where to stay" topic!

Our family stayed at the Fairmont last week. I wrote a review, but it hasn't been posted yet. We were there with my huband's company, so our room and most meals were paid for or provided by the company. The resort is on the expensive side. Each room has a mini fridge, so go into PDC for drinks/snacks. We thought the employees at the Fairmont were friendly and helpful.

It is a very nice resort, but it is spread out. The beach has white sand, turquoise water, chairs and umbrellas. There is a restaurant, bar, and an infinity pool. Golf carts run regularly to/from the beach. There are 3 pools. We enjoyed the main pool with separate areas suited for babies, children, and adults. There is a restaurant, pool bars, and a cafe/store in this area. The main lobby also offers a bar and restaurant. The food and drinks are on the expensive side. We went into PDC one night and ate at Palapa Hemingways. We didn't get to enjoy PDC since a thunderstorm came through that evening.

There are lots of sights to see outside of the Fairmont, so if this is your first trip to Mexico, please take advantage of them ... Tulum and Chichen Itza offer Mayan history.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
7,844 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oh No! Another "Where to stay" topic!

The Mayakoba looked gorgeous to me when I had a quick look at it last summer. I'd try for a room closer to the beach, and definitely rent a car so you could go to Playa and Cancun for some great and less expensive meals. It's very easy to drive here from the airport, and I'd feel stuck unless I had a car. You can rent a car for the price of limosine service... Look closely, though, the turnoff for Mayakoba is not super obvious.

Have a Fantastic Vacation!

Orange County...
Level Contributor
7,844 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oh No! Another "Where to stay" topic!

IMO, the only 2 other choices for resorts in the area on about the same level are the Ritz Cancun and perhaps the JW Marriott Cancun, club level.

Don't miss the Laguna Grill in Cancun at sunset!

Austin
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oh No! Another "Where to stay" topic!

I'm feeling the same concerns. We are going towards the beginning of July and will make the best of it. Ok, how bad can it really be???

We are renting a car, however. Just something to think about.

Barrie, Ontario...
Level Contributor
818 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oh No! Another "Where to stay" topic!

You might consider Iberostar Grand. It is all inclusive but is nevertheless excellent and from what I read about the cost of food and drink at tha Mayakoba may actually be notably cheaper. They also have free transport to PDC.

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Oh No! Another "Where to stay" topic!

the resort you picked do not include meals that will be extra as for the beach i dont know cause the looks of it the rooms are on a canal.the iberstar is a better choice food included great beach and use of the other resorts.and free shuttle to pdc .the iberstar resorts are award winning resorts.good luck we are going to the iberstar in oct.

9. Re: Oh No! Another "Where to stay" topic!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 16:18