We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does room category play a part in your resort selection???

USA
Level Contributor
750 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Does room category play a part in your resort selection???

Hi,

When choosing a resort, does the type of room that's available play a part in which resort you stay at or does room categories not really matter.

Newmarket, ON...
Level Contributor
380 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does room category play a part in your resort selection???

jaw62901:

None whatsoever. The way we look at it, our winter is so damned long, why spend time indoors? We clear out early and return late. As long as the room is quiet, clean and has a comfortable bed, for us, that's all that matters. We'd rather sit ON the beach or be IN the pool than LOOK at it!! :)

Bob

USA
Level Contributor
750 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Does room category play a part in your resort selection???

brodiekid,

Very good point and very very helpful.

Dayton, TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Does room category play a part in your resort selection???

We don't care about the room. How much time do you really spend in your room?

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does room category play a part in your resort selection???

We don't spend a lot of time in our room either, but for us an ocean view is important as is a king-sized bed (luxury!) and a quiet location. The rest we don't care about.

Cheers

Robin

boston, ma
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does room category play a part in your resort selection???

I always research & over research & pick the resort 1st. If we can afford the upgraded room we will - I prefer some sort of oceanview but that wouldn't be a deal breaker. When I research a resort though basic room descriptions & pix are definitely part of that. If 2 resorts seem equal in all other areas I'd pick the one with the better rooms.

USA
Level Contributor
750 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Does room category play a part in your resort selection???

Kbell,

How about the case of RIU Palace Mexico and RIU Palace Riveria Maya where both seem to have the same courtyard Jr Suites and the price is pretty similar as well Riveria Maya being a little bit more than Palace Mexico, but both seem to get great reviews.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does room category play a part in your resort selection???

Jaw62901 - haven't stayed at a Riu - but if it were me I honestly would choose the Riu Riviera Maya even if it's more. It's newer & the beach looks a LOT better - I'm a beach girl. Recent photo's of the Riu palace mexico show a lot of beach erosion & sand bags. Check out the candid traveler photos for each of these on this site & you'll see what I mean.

USA
Level Contributor
750 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Does room category play a part in your resort selection???

Kbell,

I have been hearing that Riveria Maya has a little better beach. Neither my fiancee and I are huge ocean people, but like laying on the beach so this is good to know.

Now if I could only figure out how to book airport transfers we would be set.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does room category play a part in your resort selection???

I really didn't believe people (until after our trip) when they answered your question with "no" reply but they were right. We really did spend very little time in the room. So little in fact that room category was not a factor on our second trip. We saved money and booked ROH second trip vs. Jr. suite the first trip.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does room category play a part in your resort selection???

Absolutely.

I want ocean front - minimally ocean view - and a balcony.

To us, it's worth the extra money.