We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time for everything, I cant believe this..I booked it!!!

United States
Level Contributor
154 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
1st time for everything, I cant believe this..I booked it!!!

Ok, so lately I have been all talk about going to Cancun / Mexico. The reason being, I have never flown, nor been out of the US. Neither has the other 2 people going with me (first for flying or out of US).

Anyway, we all 3 have been dreaming and just gossiping going to an all-inclusive resort for like 5 nights. Well, we finally went and applied for our passports at the beginning of the month, had them expedited because we said if we go, we will plan for mid July. Well, the next day they relaxed the passport issue, so now I dont really have to be concerned with those arriving on time as long as we can get them to show up online that we have applied for them. So we should be good to go in that area.

Well anyway tonight, i hit up the local travel agent, got some quotes, came back home, and within 10 mins of playing online, i booked with Travelocity. We are going to Playa Del Carmen and checking out and staying at the Occidental Grand Xcaret.

Well, now what all do i need to expect? Ive never booked a trip online, have never been in an airport, nor have I flown.

So where do I start?? What all do I need to do...right now I have nothing except for a confirmation on travelocity's website.

Can anyone give me any pointers, tips, tricks, where to start?, what to do next?, etc.

Wish us luck on our 1st timing experience!

Dayton, TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time for everything, I cant believe this..I booked it!!!

CONGRATS!!!!! You will love it and want to come back again and again. Don't be afraid of the airport, if in doubt, just ask. Don't over pack and have fun. This forum will tell you everything you need to know, you will be addicted to it before you leave.

United States
Level Contributor
154 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time for everything, I cant believe this..I booked it!!!

thanks for the response....have you ever booked your trip online? After reading my itinerary over and over, I think I kinda understand the process.

EXCEPT...one thing....the room I got says it comes with either 1 king or 2 double beds.....i didnt get to choose which I wanted...is that just something I will tell the resort upon check in??

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time for everything, I cant believe this..I booked it!!!

you can ask for either and you'll get whatever they have available. Make sure you take a cab into Playa del Carmen. Don't stay on your resort the whole time. Walk around the town...it's beautiful.

United States
Level Contributor
154 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time for everything, I cant believe this..I booked it!!!

details?? Ive heard soo many things about not leaving your resorts in mexico.

How safe do you guys feel that it is to take a cab into town, etc?

When I booked online...when will I find out what building I am , etc??...I HOPE HOPE HOPE we get the two double beds, it would be much better that way.

Chicago, IL USA
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time for everything, I cant believe this..I booked it!!!

Hey gothaimviii, congrats!

I would definitely recommend going into playa. the main street (5th street i think...?) is basically like a giant outdoor mall with shop after shop for about a mile. It is packed with people all day and night and believe me you will not feel even slightly uncomfortable.

About the hotel - usually you get assigned a room on arrival. They will give you a room of the type you paid for, like ocean front, ocean view, garden view, etc. You can always request to see the room first before you take it - or if it smells bad or is a terrible location or something you can always ask the desk for another room. They may not always be able to help you but it never hurts to ask. I find that being nice to people gets you more results than being rude or loud. Some people may disagree with me, but that's just my personal feeling on the subject!

Most important tip of all - just enjoy yourself! Your vacation will be over before you know it so just have fun!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time for everything, I cant believe this..I booked it!!!

Taking a cab is very safe in PDC. I've never heard of people saying it's not safe to leave your resort in Mexico...Jamaica, yes, Mexico, No!

PDC is a charming town and to get the real feel of the area you should definitely go. There's tons of shopping, restaurants, etc. The main shopping area is for pedestrians only. You can walk and walk and not see everything.

The mega resorts are great, but don't miss out on PDC.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time for everything, I cant believe this..I booked it!!!

If you do not get your passport in time for your trip, don't forget you will need your birth certificate and drivers license to get into Mexico. Have a great time.

Eau Claire...
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time for everything, I cant believe this..I booked it!!!

Congrats on your upcoming adventure!

My biggest piece of advice is to relax and to not worry to much. There are details to consider but literally millions of people travel to PDC every year so the process is seamless.

IMHO.....

1. learn a little spanish; "hello", "thank you", "good bye", etc. It's easy to learn and it'll go along way there.

2. Don't talk to anyone in the airport after you leave customs as they are not airport employees, they are timeshare sharks! Your driver is OUTSIDE of the airport. Don't let anyone take your bags until you've found your transportation.

3. http://www.mexicantimesharefraud.com/ Read this website. Since it's your first time to Mexico you are a prime target for timeshare sharks....they can smell a firstimer like you :)

4. Don't miss out on 5th Avenue. It's safer in Mexico than in most major cities in the US.

5. Oh ya...if anyone offers you anything, dinner, booze cruise, etc. or anything that sounds to good to be true. It's probably a timeshare sales thing - say "no gracias" and walk away.

Yes I'm timeshare focused. I wish someone would've warned me before our fist trip to mexico so many years ago. Not that we ever bought one but I spent a lot of useless time talking to timeshare people.

Have a great trip and please come back and tell us how it was!

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time for everything, I cant believe this..I booked it!!!

As Bob said, if you don't get your passports back in time, be sure you take your state-issued (not hospital-issued) birth certificate and photo i.d. to get into Mexico.

The customs/immigration forms that you'll fill out on the plane going to Cancun - DO NOT LOSE THOSE! You need them to get OUT of the country on your way home!

You'll be perfectly safe taking a cab to PDC from your resort. As others said, learn some basic polite phrases in Spanish!

As far as your room request, you could do a search here and see if someone knows the email at your resort and politely ask for what you want. Maybe send it about 1-1/2 weeks before your arrival.

If you're going in mid-July -- IT WILL BE HOT! Do not overpack. You'll spend most of your time in your swimsuit! Take bug spray also, and LOTS of sunscreen!

Have a great trip! You'll love PDC!

Barrie, Ontario...
Level Contributor
818 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time for everything, I cant believe this..I booked it!!!

Don't forget insulated travel mugs.