We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to Drink?

Canada
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What to Drink?

Hi there!!

Just wondering if you can please make some drink suggestions for our up coming trip (10 more work days yahoo!!)

I usually just drink a vodka soda combo pretty boring.

Whats your favorite?

Thanks for your help!!!!

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to Drink?

In Jamaica they have a thing called a Dirty Banana...but from what I hear its a lot like the Banana Monkey in Mexico. Sooo...if it is, thats really good.

Ive also read a lot on these boards to try a "Bumblebee Shot" so I will be trying that out this August.

I also read somewhere to ask for a "Mexican Flag" and if the bar tender can make it, then that is your test for how good of a bar tender he is....I dont know why...but thats what I read on a website.

Margaritas have got to be good in Mexico as well as Daquris...so Ill also be drinking those...LOL

Mojitos Ive read a lot about as well...

Im sure a lot depends on your resort too...because I hear some of them do "Drink Of The Day"....IF its all included try whatever you feel like trying!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to Drink?

My favorite drink is the cappucino at Cafe Sasta.....Mexican coffee beans are so smooth that they make a great coffee drink.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
930 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to Drink?

Negra Modelo or Dos Equis Amber

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
924 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to Drink?

Water...lots of water, but not from the tap...

Iowa
Level Contributor
949 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to Drink?

mojitos-yummy-cold and refreshing!

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
924 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to Drink?

In all seriousness, it may not be the best to ask your local Mexican bartender to make a "Shaved Screaming Republican Shaken with a side of Gargleblaster" because someone on here thought it would be a good drink. They will look at you funny, say "No Ingles" and give you tap water...

You probably have an idea of what tastes you dont like or liquors that hit you the wrong way which is important. Ask the bartenders what their specialty is and what's in it. Know if you like your margaritas blended, or rocks with salt/sugar/nothing on rim. For margaritas a little heavy on the sour mix side a little tip is to order it with a bit of OJ and splash of Sprite or 7-up. Another good idea is to check the menu for any specialty drinks.

We typically stuck with the regulars--beer, margaritas, and pina coladas unless there was a good specialty of the house.

We liked the Pina Coladas and Konlunich drinks at Yaxche and they are on the menu and my wife loved the blueberry daiquiri at Babe's Noodle Bar. I think we had one of those mango daiquiri things in the plastic yard glass at Senor Frog's that was good, but by that point at the night, I was very easy to please and snockered...

Mentioned in this post
Senor Frog's Playa del Carmen
Senor Frog's Playa del...
1,601 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to Drink?

Eduardo at the Yucatan got me started on one called a Paralyzer (also called a Colorado Bulldog and is similar to a White Russian). It's got Pepsi, vodka, Kahlua, and milk in it. I like them before dinner. They are potent! Another bartender made a special drink for my wife on her birthday. It was 3 layers of different alcohols in a shot glass and was set afire before serving it. Some kind of shooter.

After 35 years of drinking beer, I learned there to either drink beer out of your own mug, or order it in a plastic cup. The regular glasses there are washed in soap that doesn't completely rinse off and it causes the bubbles in your beer to bust.

Canada
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to Drink?

Thanks for all your great ideas please keep them coming!!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to Drink?

I am leaving in 2 days and am hoping for Micheladas. Beer, lime juice, hotsauce and salt. Yummy!!!

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to Drink?

Havanna rum and coke - boring but good.

Miami vice. (Half pina colada half strawberry daquiri).

Mango colada.