We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay in Royal PLD or Riu Palace Mexico?

NY
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
stay in Royal PLD or Riu Palace Mexico?

The Royal Playa del Carmen or the Riu palace mexico. My husband and I are in our 40's and are planning a trip for the 1st time to PDC, the end of August for 6 days. The The Royal Playa del carmen is 300 more for the whole week. To those of you with experience in PDC-which is nicer? has the better beach? better food? better rooms? plusher?. Is one way better than other? Thanks in advance for your help

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stay in Royal PLD or Riu Palace Mexico?

Been to the Palace Mexico 4 times (7 weeks) but not the RPDC. But as much as we love the RPM my research says RPDC beach (right now), restaurants, rooms all better. And for us flying out of Calgary we can actually get a better deal at the RPDC than the Riu Palace Mexico.

But we'll be going back to the RPM end of Nov because we love the people there.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stay in Royal PLD or Riu Palace Mexico?

Hello, I stayed in both of these hotels last year - RPM in Aug and RPDC in Dec, both time for 7 nights. While I thoroughly enjoyed the RPM, my vote is for the RPDC. Rooms are much more luxurious, balcony with sea view (I like this, despite what others say.....after beach, shower etc, I like sitting on balcony with a drink before dinner etc), beach is lovely (RPM's beach was lovely when we were there, but I read it has eroded since)...however, there are NO palapas at RPM, just palm trees for shade (I took my own portable beach umbrella). Food was better at RPDC, tho still good with plenty of choices at RPM. RPM's buildings are more in the style of old Spanish architecture, while RPDC's are more Mediterranean style. Service at both was very good, as were cleanliness of the property and friendliness and helpfulness of staff. There is also the added bonus of being only a couple of minutes walk to 5th Avenue in PDC at the RPDC. I am hoping to return to RPDC the last week of Aug)).....maybe see you there!

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: stay in Royal PLD or Riu Palace Mexico?

Royal Playa Del Carmen gets my vote too! The rooms are the nicest of any rooms I have ever stayed in - they look just like they look on Royal's website. The beach is wonderful - clean water and powderly white sand and drink and snack service on the beach. The pools are great - pool service. Adults only. Plus the restaurants are the best of any all inclusive I have ever encountered and I've been to many, many all inclusives all around Mexico. You can't go wrong with the Royal Playa del Carmen. Spend the extra $300 and you won't regret it!

NY
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stay in Royal PLD or Riu Palace Mexico?

Thanks all-we booked the royal PDC and appreciate your feedback.

5. Re: stay in Royal PLD or Riu Palace Mexico?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 16:18