We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace Mexico vs Yucatan

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Palace Mexico vs Yucatan

We have booked to go to the Yucatan in October 2007 but are now thinking of upgrading to the Palace. We are a couple in our early thirties looking for a romantic getaway.

The main reasons for this is that some reviews of the Yucatan make it sound like an 18 - 30's holiday and we are concenrned that it might be a bit too loud for us. We like the fact that at the Palace we can use the other facilities like the club at the tequilla if we want a big night out but can relax at the palace if we want to.

Is it really worth spending the extra money for the Palace?

Any feedback will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Palace Mexico vs Yucatan

We've not been to the Palace, but have been to the Yucatan 6 times. We always try to get a top floor room facing the Palace. From there, you can see that the Palace seems almost dead after it gets dark. There is only a faint hint of any noise coming from there. That may be what you are looking for.

Except for the last time we went in March and put up with springbreakers, the Yucatan is as lively as you want to make it. There are always fun people around the 2 poolside bars, and beach activities if you want to join in. If you want quiet, there are places around the Yucatan to find that.

We're in our early 50's and the Palace seems a little too stuffy and quiet for us. It may be exactly what you want though, if you want to pay the extra bucks.

Michigan
Level Contributor
513 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Palace Mexico vs Yucatan

We stayed at the Riu Palace a few years ago and loved it! What we loved the most was the not so rowdy feel that I think is more the Yucatan style. We are in our 50's and still like to have fun and it met our needs. We're ready for bed anyway by 11:00 after eating, drinking, and sunning all day! We enjoyed the food, service and beach. We are contemplating going back again in 2009 but may try the Royal PDC instead for something different. If you choose the Palace, I don't think you'll be dissapointed. Happy travels!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
614 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Palace Mexico vs Yucatan

We were at the Palace in June and loved it! It isn't at all stuffy. Classy and elegant yes, but not stuffy, meaning that it i doesn't have a party atmosphere but it is very relaxed, casual (except for the requirement that men wear long pants to dinner), and has exceptionally friendly, outstanding service. We are in the over 50 set also, but I honestly think that I would have had the same opinion 30 years ago. It's more a matter of personality than age.

There is live entertainment every night, with a band on the patio and a show in the theater (an off-Broadway type musical revue) that lasts until about 11:00 p.m. After that the resort does get very quiet, which we liked. If we had wanted to party at a disco, it is right across the street at the Tequila.

Both resorts are very nice, so it's all a matter of personal preference, but after walking through all the other neighboring Riu properties, we would go back to the Palace in a heartbeat. Either way, you're sure to love it and have a great time.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
131 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Palace Mexico vs Yucatan

My husband and I are also in our 30's and we are staying at Riu Palace Riviera Maya this October. We stayed at the Riu Yucatan last year and even though we loved the resort we felt it was too crowded. We peaked over to the Riu Palace Mexico and it was not so crowded and had a laid back atmosphere. It was a hard decision between RPM vs. RPRM which were pretty much head to head. Ended up choosing RPRM b/c posters cited they have a bigger pool. We are going back to Mexico to completely relax so a resort having a party scene was not in the picture for us.

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Palace Mexico vs Yucatan

I do honestly believe that one of the Palaces would be the best bet for the posters on here. To me, though, it seems their biggest selling point is that you can go to the other Rius and have fun.

Waynesburg...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Palace Mexico vs Yucatan

I would say go for the upgrade, you will not be disappointed with your decision! I have not stayed at the Yucatan, but when we went on tours we were with people who stayed there. I can honestly say they were more about drinking than lounging and enjoying each others company.

The Palace is very luxurious! Also the Palace and Riviera Maya Palace are great for couples ! :)

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Palace Mexico vs Yucatan

Hi- We've been to the Riu Palace Mex & Riu Pal. Riviera Maya, total of 4 times. We like the upscale, no screaming kids, upgraded amenities, etc. of the Palaces.

Now, we go to 5th Ave. to hang out and party at night. THATS where all the action is. Trust me, you are missing way to much fun if you don't go into town at night.

Leave your resort, find out what you are missing. And stay in the luxury, and romance of the Palaces.

The people who tell you to go the the other Riu's to party may say that as a free option. If you really want to have fun- go into town at night and hang out on 5th Ave. It's only a $5. cab ride, about 5 mins.

away.

Kasson.MN
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Palace Mexico vs Yucatan

If you are looking for more romance than party, book the Riu Palace Mexico. My wife and I are a little older than you, but we were at the RPM in Feb. and loved it. We spent most of 2 days walking around PDC, a day at Tulum sightseeing and bodysurfing, long walks on the beach south of the resorts so we liked that the resort quieted down after 11. But we also met some great people from the US, Germany, the UK and especially Canada who were great to spend late nights with. The resort had a great main buffet, so good that with no set schedule on our day trips we only made one ala carte reservation. The RPM was very nice, service was excellent, nice deep beach with palms, OK pool-but we prefer the beach, helpful front desk, and except for the loud drunken (heart broken-Super Bowl week) herd of Chicago Bear fans, the guests were fine. Oh yeah, I like to drink so I have no problems with boozing, My wife and I just get tired of drunks loudly "sharing" their experiences with us and everyone else on the Yucatan penisula. We had a good week at the RPM. No matter where you stay, spend some time in Playa. We had a crazy afternoon on the beach and in the beach bars in Playa. Hello to Shelley and Jim, thanks for the taxi.

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Palace Mexico vs Yucatan

Definately! If you have extra money to pay for beach service, big chandliers, and trips away from the resort to have fun, you should really go to a Palace. You can catch up on your naps there. :-)

Media, PA
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Palace Mexico vs Yucatan

My family is leaving for the Palace in December. We have 3 boys ages 19, 18 & 16. We chose the Palace because we can have the best of both worlds. Even my sons hate when they are out and kids are splashing, taking up bar seats in the pool bar, touching food at the buffets (as their parents look on), pushing in front in the buffet line, running around the lobby, etc. At the Palace we can hopefully have a nice restful vacation and should we want to experience the latter just walk right on over to the other resorts and join in. You can have the best of both worlds and the other Riu resorts can't come over the the Palace which means fewer people. I say if you are looking for a nice relaxing and quiet vacation do the upgrade. If you want the louder atmosphere you can go into town (which I am sure the other resorts do also just to see what it is all about) or walk over to the other Riu's. You can even spend the day and have lunch at their resturants for a change up. Good luck on deciding but I say it is a no brainer.