We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IB - which is better and closer to the airport?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Woodstock, Illinois
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
IB - which is better and closer to the airport?

IB Tucan or Del Mar? Which is the better resort? Rooms, Food, Drinks, Pools and most of all who has the better beach?

Crowley, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IB - which is better and closer to the airport?

We haven't been to the Del Mar, but went to the Tucan 18 mo ago. LOVED it! Food was great; Beach is excellent; Beds are a little hard, but most in Mexico are. We just booked for next summer, but are going to try the Royal Playa del Carmen because it's all adults.

We will still go back to the Tucan during the off season, not during the summers. It's a great place for the price.

jersey
Level Contributor
112 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IB - which is better and closer to the airport?

I have been to both and while both of them are great, I just cant get enough of the Tucan. I am leaving on Wed for my 3rd trip their. Love the pool being soo close to a much nicer beach.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,344 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: IB - which is better and closer to the airport?

The Del Mar is a bit newer, has a MUCH bigger pool and three pool bars, and a less crowded beach. It is also closer to the airport (about a 25 minute ride).

Yhe Tucan has a very nice beach, but it is more crowded since there has been some beach erosion in Playacar. At the Del Mar there are some rocks in the ocean, but if you just walk down the beadch toward the Lindo it is clear.

The Del Mar is a lot bigger than the Tucan since it is part of the IB Paraiso complex. That also gives you more food choices since the IB Paraiso has the Commercial Center with shops, disco, taco place, tapas place, hamburger place, and ice cream and crepes place all part of your all inclusive.

You can not go wrong with either of these resorts.

Brick, New Jersey
Level Contributor
416 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: IB - which is better and closer to the airport?

While they are both nice. The Tucan has a much nicer beach. I found the beach at the del mar rocky. The del mar is closer to the airport.

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: IB - which is better and closer to the airport?

I guess it depends on what you mean by better. The Tucan/Quetzal is great and gets great reviews and is a $5 (5 minute taxi) ride from Playa Del Carmen. The Paraiso Beach/DelMar is huge (in area) compared to the Tucan/Quetzal even though it accomodates the same amount of guests. It is a 20 minute ride away from Playa Del Carmen. I think the food and drinks would be the same. The rooms would be the same. Same great service and same extremely clean resorts. The difference is mainly the size and the beach at the Tucan/Quetzal may be a little better because it doesn't have the rocks in places going into the water. Both beaches are beautiful. The pools obviously are better at the Paraiso Beach/Del Mar as they are so much larger (you have your 2 activity pools, the quite pool, the sport pool, the kid pool, the adult pool etc.) This resort even at full occupancy doesn't feel crowded because of it's size. But it takes 10 minutes to walk from the beach to the lobby. So it all depends on what you are looking for. If you hate walking or are a true beach person then the Tucan/Quetzal would be the one to choose. The Quetzal's beach has suffered some beach erosion in the past few months so I'm sure more people are moving over to the Tucan which once again makes this resort feel more crowded. Some people like this. Personally I don't like the "crowd" thing and like the fact that the Paraiso Beach is much more spread out and I loved the pools at this one so much. There is more to do too because of the Commercial center and the size itself. Some people hate big resorts. I loved the Paraiso beach and will return there in Feb. Hope this helps. You'll love whichever one you go to because the Iberostars are great. Service with a smile always. You just need to decide what you are looking for. Make sure to read all the recent reviews of each (and their sister resort because they are the same) and the recent "candid travelers photos" of all 4 also. They are at the top of each resort review.

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: IB - which is better and closer to the airport?

PS. The Paraiso Beach/DelMar is 25 to 30 minutes from the airport and the Tucan is probably 45 to 50 minutes from it.

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: IB - which is better and closer to the airport?

Tucan or Quetzal, which ever your travel company is pushing. I found the jungle setting of the Quetzal wonderfuly relaxing. They share the same pools, beach and theatre.

8. Re: IB - which is better and closer to the airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 17:15