We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

riu mexico vs. riu palace

toronto
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
riu mexico vs. riu palace

My girlfriend and I are not sure between the Riu Palace Mayan or the Riu Palace Mexico. Any suggestions? Do they have waiters on the beach taking orders at either of the resorts?

How many restaurants do they each have?

Your replies will be greatly appreciated!!!

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: riu mexico vs. riu palace

You may want to look through the reviews on this page down the left side to get a lot of answers.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,812 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: riu mexico vs. riu palace

Neither has true waiter service on the beach taking your order and bringing you your drink but they often have a waiter walking around with a tray of drinks that you can choose from. If it's slow and the resort is not at full capacity (have only experienced that right after Wilma) you might get better beach service. The beach bar at both resorts is a short walk. Both have pool service though.

The Riu Palace Riviera Maya has 5 specialty restaurants and the Palace Mexico has 4. The RPRM has a Mexican one that the RPM doesn't. While we were staying at the RPM last year we were invited for dinner at the RPRM one night and ate at the Mexican. We weren't impressed with the food or the service. It was only the 2nd time in 49 nights at a Riu Palace we never left a tip after dinner. We preferred the Mexican night they put on each week in the buffet.

IMHO if you're a beach person and that's where you'll spend most of your time pick the RPM. If however you prefer to lounge around the pools, go for the RPRM.

Barrie, Ontario...
Level Contributor
818 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: riu mexico vs. riu palace

I'd second bob's comments. RPM has better beach. RPRM better pool.

These are the main distinctions.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: riu mexico vs. riu palace

We like the Riu Palace Mexico best, also

Kasson.MN
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: riu mexico vs. riu palace

My beautiful wife and I spent a week at the Riu Place Mexico in February and loved it. All the previous responses ring true. A couple we met from Germany, spent a week at the Maya and the next week at the Mexico. They thought the Maya was "over the top" with interior details, and the beach and the food was better at the Mexico. The front desk took care of us from when we checked in til we left (ask for a matress pad as soon as you reach your room). We liked Don Julian's buffet so much, we only ate ala carte once. The main buffet had very good food and variety morning, noon, & night (lobster 2 different nights during our stay and great service from David and his brother German). Plus we loved having no set evening reservations for a more flexible time in Playa or day trips. Loved the beach-you could walk south past 4 or 5 resorts and be on an undeveloped beach for a couple miles. Pool just OK.

6. Re: riu mexico vs. riu palace

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 14:18