We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Yucatan or Riu Tequila

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta
Level Contributor
341 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Yucatan or Riu Tequila

which do you like? why? Have narrowed it down to these two for a quick long weekend economical weekend with hubby.

I aprreciate your input!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
123 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Yucatan or Riu Tequila

Riu Yucutan. We stayed at the Yucutan last year and loved it. It would be a better choice than the Tequila b/c it's right on the beach. At the Tequila, you would have to cross the street and pass Riu Yucutan to go to the beach. From what I remember, the grounds and pool were bigger at the Yucutan. We walked around Riu Tequila and visited a bar there.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Yucatan or Riu Tequila

stayed at the yucatan last august lovely place even has its own wildlife in the grounds howler monkeys etc etc.in 17 days i will be staying at the tequila over here in lovely sunny england (lol) the tequila is sold as a platinum hotel and the yucatan is not you pay the extra at the yucatan because its on the beach but the tequila is supposed to be the better hotel.i vistied the tequila last year and from what i can remember it has bigger grounds and pool than the yucatan.even has its own night club you cant go wrong which ever you choose they are both lovely.you dont even have to walk to the beach jump on the shuttle from the tequila and it take you literally 60 seconds to get there enjoy!

Portsmouth, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Yucatan or Riu Tequila

We have been to the Yucatan two times and love it. I don't understand why anyone would go on a beach vacation and not stay on the beach.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
803 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Yucatan or Riu Tequila

All responses are right on. We enjoyed 2 vacations at the Riu Tequila. There is lots of vegetation. Lots of shade, especially by the pool. In February the pool water is a little cooler than the Riu Yucatan because there is more shade. The decor is colonial Mexico. Lots of Wrought Iron. You can use facilities at 4 Rius. We especially liked saving $300 a couple by staying across the street from the beach.

Enjoy your vacation.

atlanta
Level Contributor
341 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Yucatan or Riu Tequila

Thanks

it is cheaper at the Tequila and if it as nice, might just do that

will be there in late Oct.

How did you get from the Cancun airport to Playa?

Thanks for all the great comments!

atlanta
Level Contributor
341 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Yucatan or Riu Tequila

Also, how big is the beach in front of Yucatan? Has it survived the storms?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Yucatan or Riu Tequila

I agree with mgampp.....why do do a beach destination and not stay on the beach and the RIU Yucatan has an awesome beach. We've stayed there twice and are heading back in February '08.

Grand Haven...
Level Contributor
306 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Yucatan or Riu Tequila

I think you'll get as many responses are there are responders on this one (or at least pretty evenly divided).

If you're into saving some $$, then the Tequila is for you. It is as nice and the walk to the beach is pleasant and minimal. We stayed at the Tequila and didn't feel slighted in the least - from what I could tell, there aren't any real "beachfront" rooms at the Yucatan or Playacar. We spent most of our afternoons at the Yucatan beach or Playacar beach. It was great!

If you just don't want to be that far from the beach and don't mind the extra $$, then the Yucatan is for you.

We spent the extra on a few trips into town and an excursion. Trade offs :)

atlanta
Level Contributor
341 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Yucatan or Riu Tequila

thanks to all!

Do the rooms at Riu Tequila have refrigerators? is there one in the mini bar?

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,766 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Yucatan or Riu Tequila

yes, fridge and minibar.