We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Other things to do? A few hours in PDC and surrounding areas

atlanta
Level Contributor
351 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Other things to do? A few hours in PDC and surrounding areas

Well, obviously the beach, pool, shops of PDC, what other fun (not wallet breaking--Xel HA or XCaret) activities for a few hours?

Not really interested in the big Disney like areas, even thought I am sure they are wonderful. 2 adults in case we want time away from our AI.

thanks!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Other things to do? A few hours in PDC and surrounding areas

Xcaret is very large and can not be seen in a few hours

New York
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Other things to do? A few hours in PDC and surrounding areas

There are no Disney type areas there. A trip to the ruins is interesting or horseback riding on the beach. A Cat trip to Isla Mujeres is fun. Lots to do. Enjoy!!

atlanta
Level Contributor
351 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Other things to do? A few hours in PDC and surrounding areas

Perhaps I stated it wrong. I have heard that Xcaret, XelHa are Disneyesque like... fun but not real.

We are not interested in that. Just a place to do something different, soak up some local culture.

Has anyone gone fishing down there? How was that and how much?

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,766 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Other things to do? A few hours in PDC and surrounding areas

Cat trip to Isla Mujeres is more than a few hours, even fishing on a boat will eat up the time. Beach clubs are good such as Kool (has pool and food) or Mamitas. If you spend the hours on 5th it will not be enough to absorb very much. The shopping near the ferry pier is good (Paseo Mall) and there are locals that have animals and do dancing for photo ops. Eating/drinking and grazing the street vendors is good also. If you have such few hours don't spend it traveling ....stay in the town itself. There is a beach right by the pier and lots of good food/drink selections.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Other things to do? A few hours in PDC and surrounding areas

I would not call Xel-Ha “Disneyesque” nor would I classify it as “not real.” However, for snorkeling it is a great place to spend the day. Your qualifier of several hours will limit you to what you will have time to do. Even to “soak up some local culture” will take more than several hours. Your best bet, and not budget busting, will be to wander around town and/or the beach area and just go with the flow and see what turns up.

atlanta
Level Contributor
351 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Other things to do? A few hours in PDC and surrounding areas

Thanks so much for the tips. I do appreciate it. I do not mean to downplay the parks--will save that for when we take our daughter, who will love it!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
649 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Other things to do? A few hours in PDC and surrounding areas

Check out Puerto Morelos. It is a small town about 25-30 minutes north of PDC, and it is a great place to spend an afternoon! The town has kept a lot of it's original charm, and the people are not crazy vendors-types that you find elsewhere. Food on the beach near the wharf area is great!! Small shops are inter-twined along the streets, and they have a "local" arts, crafts, textiles section, where you can really buy authentic, handmade clothing, ceramics, art, etc.. Not the cookie-cutter tourist items that are everywhere else.

You can rent or hire a boat for an hour or more and get out to snorkel or dive along the reef.

It is a special place, and it is not "5 star-all inclusive!" It's just a small community made up of great bakeries, restaurants, and a charming town.

If you have a car it's not a long drive, and if you take the collectivo or a taxi, it's far less expensive than entrance to a "theme" park. (I love Xel-Ha however! And do not consider it a theme park!)

New York
Level Contributor
341 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Other things to do? A few hours in PDC and surrounding areas

go to Akumal to snorkel or just sit in the beach and relax. its very nice, clean and white sand beach. you can rent a chair or sonsume food in drinks in one of theri restaturants and have a pleasant day. its about a 25-20 minute ride form PDC.

atlanta
Level Contributor
351 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Other things to do? A few hours in PDC and surrounding areas

thanks--is there a public beach where you can rent chairs. etc? how much ? sounds exactly like what we want, also puerto morelos looks good

thanks so much

IDeas about how much a colectivo is from PDC to akumal? do they have them?

New York
Level Contributor
341 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Other things to do? A few hours in PDC and surrounding areas

the cab should be about 10-15 usd. the chair rentals shold be about 50 pesos-5 usd each. if you consume food and drinks then the chairs are free. all the beaches are public and free of charge-just don't sit in their chairs and you should be fine.