We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PDC in November

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
PDC in November

Thinking about a quick 5 day trip to Playa next month. We have stayed at the Riu Palace Mexico twice but it has been a few years. We like the location because it is close to town. We have heard good things about Iberostar Tucan/Quatzal but know it is very family friendly. It will be only my husband and I so would prefer a hotel without a lot of children. Do you think there would be a lot of children in November? We are actually looking right before Thanksgiving. What do you think about the Iberostar compared to the Riu Palace Mexico? Also, how does the Riu Yucatan or the Riu Palace Riviera Maya compare to the Riu Palace Mexico?

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PDC in November

I would also look into the Royal Playa Del Carmen which is adults only. I think that unless you are going Thanksgiving week then the kids shouldn't be too much of a problem at the Ibeorstars (I've stayed at 3 and love the Iberostars). Most of the kids are in school (not that some parents take the kids anyway--but a lot less) If you are going between Nov 17th and Nov 24 then there will be lots of kids. The week before from Nov 10 to Nov 17 then there would be less kids.

As far as the difference in the Rui's I don't know but have read many times that the people who stay at the Riu Palaces can go to the Riu Yucatan for fun. Call me crazy but I'd pay the lower price and go with the fun place--the Riu Yucatan. It costs less too.

United States
Level Contributor
741 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PDC in November

We loved the IB Tucan/Quetzel...stayed last December. Yes there were some families w/ children however it was easy enough for our group of 40 adults looking to be AWAY from children for a week to escape them...we didn't find it to be a problem ...very few of them and usually at the kids pool or gone w/ the Animation/sitters team.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PDC in November

Thanks for your comments. Anyone else??

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
168 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PDC in November

Hello,

We went to PDC last month. Stayed in Luna Blue, which was really great. Not all-inclusive, though, so I don't know about those.

I'm just writing because I understand the desire to be away from little people sometimes, and we didn't see tons of kids anywhere - on the beach or in the restaurants or such. I live near and visit MD beaches, and things like boardwalks and rides attract loads of kids and teenager types. PDC didn't stike me that way at all.

Suffolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: PDC in November

Kaola-

My husband and I enjoyed our honeymoon at the Tucan the first week of July. The children were never a problem in or around the pool or dining areas. Most were so absorbed in play that they hardly acknowledged when it was time to eat! I've never been to a RIU, so I can't compare, but I did enjoy the Tucan/Quetzel and would return. The proximity to Playa is a definite plus; you can party and still look forward to a cheap taxi ride back to the resort. You could walk, but then that would depend on how much partying has been done. The beach at Tucan is very clean and free of rock; there's plenty of palapas and palms to provide shade. Or, if you want some 'alone time' you can use one of the free beach umbrellas found at the towel hut and move yourself away from everyone. I personally liked being closer to the beach bar and beach grill. Hope this helps.

6. Re: PDC in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 15:19