We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jarred baby food in your luggage?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
jarred baby food in your luggage?

how do you pack jarred baby food in your luggage with out it breaking?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: jarred baby food in your luggage?

he will be 14.5 months when we go and we are going for 2 weeks. He is being a very picky eater right now, we had him eating mashed potatoes, etc and wasdoing great and then the past 2 week he won't touch any of it! even if i mash it or puree it? He won't touch cheese, pasta or real fruit or veggies either. SO i am worrying about dinner time as he will need a meat and veggie combo, so he doesn't wake at night due to hunger as he might wake already just from being in a new environment. I def don't want to have to wake up and give him a bottle just fill the gap and get back into that nasty habit. I am going to keep trying hard daily and try to get him on mashed potatoes, and rice again at least, as we know all buffets have that.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: jarred baby food in your luggage?

Lin, it might actually be a blessing - this way you know for sure what he is eating, and won't have to worry if the food is cooked properly, the right temperature etc. and worry about him getting sick from the food there! Its not a big deal having to bring the baby food along, trust me like I said I've done it. It sounds nuts, but other mothers will understand, I brought at least 4 jars/containers per DAY, plus extra in case of breakage, plus baby cereal, plus Cheerios. I even brought a plug-in kettle to boil water to heat the food in and sterilize the cups and containers, as I didn't want to risk rinsing with just tap water. My last trip I did a final rinse with bottled water, and had them sterilize my cups at the bar with the boiling water from the coffee machine.

If you are over in luggage, so be it, just enjoy your trip! The excess weight will only be one way, as the food and diapers, etc. will be all consumed by the trips end. Like I told my husband, I'd rather overpack and be reassured that I brought enough and what I would need than be a nervous wreck on the trip. Whatever makes you the most comfortable. For me, it was bring what I needed, for others, it might be go out and get what you need there, as the need arises.

I just got back from my third trip with my now almost 5 and 2 year old. My first trip, my oldest was 10 months, second trip he was 23 months, so any other tips you might need, I've probably gone through it, so feel free to ask!

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: jarred baby food in your luggage?

I didn't realize you were staying in Akumel. That is about a 25 minute drive to the Walmart. The bus is about $1.50 but taking the bus with a baby would probably be a pain. Sounds like the packing would be the better idea. That's a tough age (I raised 6 kids). Does your baby eat many finger foods? I remember when mine were little they all went through a phase where they didn't like being spoon fed and also didn't like the foods I was spoon feeding them. I think I ended up putting a variety of finger foods out each meal (cereal,crackers, pasta,vegetables, fruit chunks, tofu chunks, chunks of cauliflower, peas,avacado, meats,cooked beans etc) They might not eat it all but if they had 3 or 4 things to pick from they usually eat enough. My kids all loved yogurt too and you can mash other good things into it if they like it. Good luck and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

14. Re: jarred baby food in your luggage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 02:19