We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping

Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
805 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping

So what type of shopping should I expect in Playa del Carmen? Is there lots of shopping to do? Is it worth taking a look?

Kimberly, WI
Level Contributor
351 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping

I thought it was worth going for. Lots and lots of jewelry. It is interesting to see the diffence in the shops. some upscale and boutique and others open air market style. all kinds of things to shop for.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping

Lots of shopping in Playa del Carmen down 5th Avenue (no kidding). A long stretch of road with all kinds of shops, restaurants, bars, etc. The shop owners can be quite aggressive trying to get you into their shop...a smile and a "no, gracias" is helpful. Lots of jewelry stores selling silver items.

A word of advice: compare prices in several shops before deciding what to buy and how much to pay. Remember...bargain on the prices. A bracelet I bought for my wife started at $65...I paid $25. Silver money clips for my sons started at $35...I paid $20.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,476 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping

Here is a paragraph from my trip report to town.

"Word got out on the street that the American lady was looking for a plaque. I never saw so many plaques appear in my life. I was getting a bit frazzled when one determined vendor practically dragged me into his shop saying, ���I have the wharehouse of plaques in my shop.��� He led me into a small room and started whispering so his colleagues (competitors) who had their ears to the door couldn���t hear. He frantically started going through every plaque he could find. I was saying things like, ���too big��� or ���no, not that one���. Rio was listening to this as I was in a tiny alcove out of site of everyone. Finally the vendor said, ���$250 pesos just for you.��� I said, ���no way. I���ll give you $10���. Here is where I shall give you a clue to negotiating ��� decide ahead of time if you���re going to negotiate in pesos or US. I thought I had a ten dollar bill and I didn���t so he ended up getting a little more than $10 in a combo of US dollars and pesos. I did stick to my price. He quickly wrapped the plaque in newspaper and shoved it in my bag before anyone found out what he had settled for. It was quite funny."

Have fun. Know what you're looking for and how much you want to pay.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,476 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping

Don't know why that translated that way. Basically, the vendors in the local shops will try to get as much money as they can out of you so be prepared to negotiate. Compare shops. Say "no too much money". The newer (European) shops have set prices.

b.c.
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping

Hi What are the newer european stores? Do you remember any names?

Thanks.

MJo
Spring Grove, IL
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping

Playa is a Shop-a-holics dream! There is everything from upscale stores in Paseo Del Carmen (jewelry, luggage, clothing) to the local jewelry store/cheap souvenir stores that are very typical in Mexico, and there's even a Wal-Mart for those who forgot something important at home.

While many of the stores are similar, I like to explore them all. you never know what you will find!

New York
Level Contributor
341 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping

take a drive to Mercado 28 its cheaper and its a big open market. you can eat and shop. the drive is about 45 minutes because you have to drive into Cancun.

CT
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping

I guess it is worth a look because if you don't go you'll wonder what you missed. But IMHO it isn't worth the time (but I am not a big shopper either). We have gone twice and only to get souvenirs for my son and once my hubby bought T-shirts. I usually like to buy a Christmas ornament or something that is unique to remember the vacation but in three trips to Mexico I have bought nadda. The quality is just not there.

At the very least, go at night so you don't waste prime beach weather. Remember to bargain.

MJo
Spring Grove, IL
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping

I agree about the Flea Market. If it's your first time and you are not specifically going to Cancun for something else, than I wouldn't bother. Plus, I looked at the Flea Markets before, but never really bought anything.

I am a speed shopper and a good multi-tasker, so I cram, but most people do not go on vacation to do so. Plus, it takes a lot of travel time as well.

There's enough to see/do in Playa for your first time, and in the future, you can branch out and see other things.

winnipeg
Level Contributor
65 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping

I really enjoyed shopping in Playa del Carmen, that's because I like shopping. Two things to remember though. Prices are always higher when the cruise ships are in and prices are always lower later in the afternoon as compared to the morning.

Side note for a laugh....

I was looking through a book at the resort of different things in Playa. I came across a picture of what I thought was a synagogue. It said Shalom on it, had Stars of David all over it and hebrew writing. I asked the hotel where it was, they told me 5th avenue. We went searching for this synagogue since I found it facinating that there would be one in the heart of Playa. Passed it five times before I found it.

It was a clothing a shoe store. I was so sad. High end merchandise though.....