We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport question

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
254 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Passport question

Hi Everyone,

I haven't traveled internationally except to Mexico where you didn't need a passport in the past. Does anyone know how long they are taking to process these days?

Also, since I'm getting married and this next trip is for my honeymoon, should I wait until I get home from the honeymoon to change my last name? Does anyone know how that hole process works?

Thanks!

Ann

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport question

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!

In Wisconsin at least I know they take about 6-8 weeks to get. I have to get one myself and keep putting it off, and I'm going in Feb so I better get movin!

As far as waiting to change your name that would probably be something you can ask the people when you are getting your passport since you have to make an appt to get one, ours we can go to our local post office or court house. It might make the whole travel process easier to go to the dmv, get your drivers license w/ your new name on it if you already have your marriage license..I think you need that. Then you can just take your i.d. and passport w/ your new name and dont have to worry about all the other paperwork....not sure though, again I would check w/ the passport peeps. Good luck!

Dixfield, Maine
Level Contributor
341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport question

missann1981

ibgamblinqueen is correct! I would find out from whom ever you get your passport from. You will need all your documents with the name you are using on them. Our passport only took 30 days, but that was before the mad dash! (LOL) We had them done at our local post office. We each had to have our Social's & driver & marriage certifacte. You have to fill out any children you have and your parents names & birthdates and where they were born. So make sure you have all your info. (The guy who did ours was the Post Master, he told us not to smile, that the Departmet of Justice has no since of humor! We thought he was kidding, but he wasn't - NO SMILING!)

Crazy! Our passports look more like mug shots! (LOL) If you have a travel agent in your area, even if your not using one. You may can call and get some answers to your question's, it's worth a try! Good Luck & have a great time! Birdie

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport question

What name is your plane ticket under? If your plane ticket is in your maiden name then I would not change any ID until you get back. If you are getting married, and leaving that (or the next day or two) for Cancun you will not have time to get a passport with your married name.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
254 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport question

Thanks everyone for the info!

I think the most pain free and worry free way to do it is just to change everything after the wedding.

Medford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
298 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport question

Do not change your name or anything else before you are legally married. A friends sister changed everything before her wedding and the groom was a no show. She then had to go about reversing the whole process.

Also, you need to be sure that your passport, and other ID match the name that your flight is tecketed under or you won't get on the plane.

Paul G.

Milwaukee
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport question

Since I just finished this process I think I may be of assistance....

Checkout the website tavel(dot)state(dot)gove/passport

You can actually fill out the entire form there, get your (non-smiling) picture done at a place like Walgreens and then have it all processed at the Post Office.

I did it this way and believe it or not, it took a total of ten business days to get it back in the mail (and I didn't pay for expedited service).

As far as the name change, stick with your maiden name until you get back.

Hope this helps. Congrats and Good Luck!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
254 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport question

Thank you everyone who just responded!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
360 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport question

Just recently married not so long ago. Get your passport under your maiden name. Once married all you need to do is show your marriage certificate at the government center and they will mark your passport "amended" with your new name on the back.

Now. . . if I could only change my picture.

Milwaukee
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport question

One more thing, I think the only thing you really need (That could be an issue) is a Certified Birth Certificate.....It took me awhile to find, but low and behold it was in our safety deposit box.

Kansas
Level Contributor
319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport question

My son just got his passport 1 month ago we did expedite and it took 6 business days.