We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Illegal Drugs in PDC

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
236 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Illegal Drugs in PDC

I've been "lurking" here for a while but have not found any info regarding illegal drugs and the sellers of such.

After several trips to Jamaica and being offered illegal drugs (mostly marijuana) by skycaps, bus drivers, bellhops and bartenders, and guys on the beach, I am wondering if we will be accosted the same way during our vacation in PDC.

From what I read in the newspapers, Mexico is a major supplier of illegal drugs to the US and drugs must be easily available to the tourists too.

Are we going to be offered illegal drugs by people all the time? Will a polite "no, thank you" be sufficient as it was in Jamaica? Of course, since my husband is 6' 5" and 275lbs, perhaps he was the reason they were not as persistant as the might have been. LOL

Has anyone who has stayed at the Occidental Grand Xcaret had anyone offer you drugs and how did you respond?

Thanks

SS

america
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Illegal Drugs in PDC

Open your eyes! First stall I went by in 5th avenue the guy said he was selling Mayan calendars made of special plaster that doesn't break. As soon as I went to the back of his store he offered to sell me six joints for $150usd. I'm 53 and my husband waited outside(I'm tall, blonde,chesty, and friendly). He also offered blo. As you'd pass many stalls you'd get offered "weed... blo". (and of course time share opportunities..went on mayan palace tour). Rented jeep and was going 90 km in 80km zone with the flow of traffic. Got charged $150 if I would go to the police station or $75 on the spot. Just remember anytime you travel, anywhere ther are humans you will have corruption. That being said the "healing hands massage" stores on 5th avenue are absolutely the best massages I've had(in 4 continents). The Mexican service people were phenomenal in welcoming and making us feel comfortable(stayed at one of the palaces). The Mexican people are very friendly and want to help you because you help feed their families through your dollars.

PS I was there the day after Brig General Tello..was tortured and murdered. I believe President Calderon? is trying. The country is amazingly beautiful and the people are wonderful.

PSSS Chose not to be a part of the corruption and didn't buy anything but beautiful T-shirts.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Illegal Drugs in PDC

Here's my opinion for what it's worth. These guys are like barkers at carnivals. Anything they can bring in by any method. I think they might tend to profile older folks who may have been dabbling in college decades ago, or younger 20-30's who look possible. Certainly not mom with a stroller. The lone time we were approached the guy had open running sores on his face....not an attractive advertisment. Gosh, you didn't want to inhale the air around him. Very easy to identify. The cops must live there. Strange.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,558 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Illegal Drugs in PDC

Been several times....been asked once - Marijuana on 5th avenue around 2am in the morning. He wasn't scary or anything- we just laughed-said no and moved on. Never felt threatened or anything. I would say it's very rare in PDC to be asked. I wouldn't worry about it.

omaha, ne
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Illegal Drugs in PDC

While browsing the stores, just check out the pipes.. you'll get asked every time.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
173 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Illegal Drugs in PDC

We had a number of polite offers, and we declined equally politely. End of story. No hassle or pestering.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
378 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Illegal Drugs in PDC

We were offered drugs on several occasions and a polite decline was enough. All the offers happened on or near 5th Ave. We are in our 20s/30s.

Laconia, New...
Level Contributor
88 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Illegal Drugs in PDC

I was never offered drugs at Occidental Grand Xcaret but in Jamaica yes.

28. Re: Illegal Drugs in PDC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 20:20