We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day must do...

Level Contributor
1,040 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
1 day must do...

We'll be staying at a resort south of Playa, but would like to spend one day in town. What are some must dos while we're there? How much time should we allow? Do we need all day or just a few hours? Would like to eat at atleast one restaurant and do some shopping/siteseeing.

Any info appreciated.

crazy4dabeach

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,767 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day must do...

You'll need a full day and will probably find it is not enough. I'd suggest getting as good an idea as you can of the PDC street layouts and the kind of shopping/eating/drinking you will do before you actually get to town. You'll probably want to stay for the evening meal and find a good spot along 5th to relax and watch the fellow tourists parade.

The side streets are great for exploring for different foods and small shops. The beach area is worth a stroll, also, around lunch time. Even a breakfast treat at the Hot Baking Company is popular.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day must do...

One of the most common comments we hear from visitors stopping in Playa from a cruise or a visit from a resort is “ I wish I had known how much there was to see and do here.”

Playa borders a beautiful beach which stretches for a couple of miles and is lined with beach clubs, restaurants and water activities. The main resort pedestrian walkway, 5th Avenue runs for over twenty blocks and offers great shopping with international named stores mixed with small local treasures. Clothing, swimwear, handicrafts, art, silver, jewelry, food, Cuban cigars, tequila and souvenirs of all types are all on display. For meals there are dozens upon dozens of excellent restaurants ranging from taco carts to multi-course banquets. In the evening you will find cafes and open air bars where you can sit in the Caribbean breeze and people watch. You will also find the trendiest dance clubs and little hole in the wall places with live music. And that doesn’t even touch on the wonderful experiences you can have outside the Tourist Zone.

Playa Del Carmen really can’t be experienced in a short day trip. We suggest going to town early in your vacation. Spend a few hours exploring 5th Avenue. Wander down to Mamitas or Kool beach clubs. Have a Margarita at the Tequila Barrel. We think you might find Playa is worth more than just one visit and will want to come back again before your vacation ends.

Tony and Cheri

Luna Blue Hotel and Garden

Media, PA
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day must do...

If you spend the day can you just walk into a resturant to eat dinner or do you need reservations ahead of time? It sounds like they have enough resturants but hate after a long day of shopping and you can't find a place to eat.

CT
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day must do...

If you only have one day I would recommend visiting Coba and then going into town in the evening when it is cooler. We did a trip with Alltournative Tours to climb Coba, zipline, etc. It was unbelievable. I would not want to waste a full day shopping when you can experience the history of Mexico instead. But you could do both. Most of the shops downtown carry about the same stuff, I would highly recommend seeing Coba or Tulum or even Xcaret over a full day of shopping but that's just my preference. You'll enjoy whatever you choose!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day must do...

My husband and I are leaving for PDC on Wednesday, and are staying in the Playacar area (just south of town). Last time we were in PDC, we rented a car for the day and drove to Tulum. We were thinking about doing that again, but also thinking about going to Coba. Is Coba a lot further than Tulum? Is it safe to drive ourselves?

I was also looking for recommendations of other places to stop. What is there to see in Akumal? We have been to Xcaret and Xel-Ha so not really interested in going there. Any places you would recommend to stop for a meal or a drink?

We are staying at an all-inclusive but would like to go into Playa for a couple of meals. What restaurants would you recommend if you only were having two meals in town?

Thanks!

6. Re: 1 day must do...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 10:25