We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursion vs. wasting all-inclusive $$

Ohio
Level Contributor
171 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Excursion vs. wasting all-inclusive $$

When you go on an all day excursion such as Chichenitza, how do you justify spending a day away from the resort that you are paying upwards of $500/day for...plus you are paying extra for the excursion as well as meals, etc.

It's a hard call for me...like throwing $500 down the drain for 1 day. At the same time, we want to explore the beautiful area and will need something to break up the week from doing the same thing everyday. Your thoughts or advice?

coquille oregon
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Excursion vs. wasting all-inclusive $$

First of all the ruins are well worth the trip and something you will always remember. We stay at the Palace resorts so the excursions are free so that is always nice. Second you have to see more of Mexico than the resorts. Get out and explore. Its a beautiful place. You can sit around a hotel pool anywhere in the USA.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
United States
United States
North America
Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
9,032 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Excursion vs. wasting all-inclusive $$

Well the same question tends to come up from time to time, though I think usually on a smaller scale, say with reference to justifying eating dinner out in town at a restaurant instead of taking advantage of the included meals or meals you already paid for at an AI. So you're not alone. It is part and parcel of the AI route, it seems, at least for those who focus on such things. And people undoubtedly get very good deals in many situations on trips involving large AIs.

I'm biased, of course, but objectively it seems that that obvious logical alternatives if this sort of thing bothers you too much is to either skip seeing anything outside the resort, really, or not to book that type of resort but go with a non-AI property, instead. Playa is certainly a place which offers many such properties, as TripAdvisor shows.

As the old saying goes, ya pays your price, ya takes your choice. :-)

Steve

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excursion vs. wasting all-inclusive $$

At an AI one can really feel kind of tied down to it. If you are taking children and don't do excursions, it's a great way to go. Of course if you're staying for at least a week or more, you WANT to get away from your resort at some point, an all day tour might be a great idea. If you're an adventurous couple and not taking children, like doing things off a resort and trying all the great food Playa has to offer, a small hotel that offers free breakfast is probably the better way to go in Playa del Carmen.

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Finland
Level Contributor
983 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excursion vs. wasting all-inclusive $$

What about if you take AI resort and do some nice excursions...

And at those days when you take the excursion, I think you still can eat the breakfast and when you return to your hotel, you maybe have time to eat the dinner, or at least some nice snacks? And maybe you can take some drinks from your room for the excursion?

So that way it's not toally "waste" of AI if you do all day excursion?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,444 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excursion vs. wasting all-inclusive $$

A vacation is what you want it to be. Personally I will never spend $500 a day for an AI plus I will get out and do things. As one person mentioned, you may only miss lunch. If you stay at your AI, you will miss far more of what the area has to offer.

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,779 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excursion vs. wasting all-inclusive $$

I suppose compromise is the key....

If at an AI then minimize the number of days outside the resort. We are fortunate that the ADO bus is so convenient you really do not have to take the tours to many places. Tell the AI resort you need a box lunch and they will provide. Public transportation is great! Take the bus and buy the tickets at the gate or wander over to Akumal or Merida or Puerto Morelos or a dozen other places. It's a hoot to wander around in Mexico....

If not at an AI then it's fun to take an AI tour where you can indulge in the food/drink during the day. Xel-Ha and Coba and other full day tours feed you pretty good and you can return to your room really not wanting to go out for dinner.

I go both ways and enjoy each experience.

Mentioned in this post
Xel-Ha
Xel-Ha
15,854 Reviews
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Ado
Ado
570 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excursion vs. wasting all-inclusive $$

I agree that the price of going on an all inclusive vacation through say Apple or Funjet is so reasonable that it gives you that extra money to take a couple of excursions. Usually you can stay at a great all inclusive for about $1400 to $1600 per person for 8 days. If you deduct your round trip airfare, your airport transportation all your meals and drinks for the week from that amount the cost of the room is extremely low. You can eat your breakfast at the resort before you go and eat dinner when you return (most buffet's are open until 10:00pm). Most all day excursions include lunch. Or do what MNViking said and take the ADO bus. I think it's something like $2 or $3. If you really want to go on a lot of excursions and try out the restaurants in town then it would seem senseless to pay for a fancy all inclusive--do what Candylady said and look into the non all inclusives. I'm not sure where $500 a day comes from.

Mentioned in this post
Ado
Ado
570 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Excursion vs. wasting all-inclusive $$

BopRN ... You may also want to consider how often you expect to return to Mexico. Many people on this board go every year (or even more often!). If you think that will be the case for you, you will have an opportunity to stay at a variety of hotels and experience different excursions.

In my case, our family likes to travel to different places every year. My husband and I had been to Cancun about 20 years ago (pre-kids), but my kids had never been to Mexico and I wasn't sure if or when they would be going back. And SO, I wanted the convenience of an AI but also wanted some excursions to show the kids "Mexico off the resort." I agree with the previous poster who said that if you just want to stay at a resort all day, you can do that right here in the good old USA. Unless you plan to go to Mexico again, I think you will regret it if you don't see some of the sights. It does not have to be Chichen Itza (although it is awesome); the ruins in Tulum and Coba are closer to Playa del Carmen. Lots of other stuff to do, too.

We liked our resort but the excursions were definitely the highlight of our trip. I never sought to justify it in terms of time away from the AI, but you do have options ... as MnViking 45 said, you could get a box lunch from your AI; many AI's also have 24 hour room service or 24 hour snack rooms. We returned from our trip to Tulum at an awkward time ... too late for lunch but too early for dinner ... and the kids were hungry. Our resort had a "commercial center" with several eateries that were included in our deal (tapas, tacos, crepes, hamburgers, ice cream, adult beverages, etc.), so that worked out well for us on that day.

Good luck ... please let us know what you decide to do.

P.S. MnViking45, taken out of context, the last sentence of your post is, um, well, let's just say I'm blushing.

Mentioned in this post
Chichen Itza
Chichen Itza
21,277 Reviews
Chichen Itza, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
United States
United States
North America
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excursion vs. wasting all-inclusive $$

Good one NTP. I must be getting old as I missed that one. Who would have thought that of Mr. Vik....not that theres anything wrong with that. Thanks for my daily laugh. I will meet you at the swing bar. LIG ITS.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excursion vs. wasting all-inclusive $$

Plus you are not throwing away $500. You still get your room, nice bed, drinks, lunch box, breakfast, shower, walk on the beach (if one) snacks. You will return to a very clean room, your bed will be made & you may have some fun un-making the bed. Lets not forget possible towel art. Thats not a waste of your $500. Just my opinion. LIG ITS.