We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This new TA format

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
This new TA format

I just e-mailed TA and complained about this new site's format. I can't tell which reviews of resorts I've already read or which posts here on the forum I've already read or responded to. There is no color difference anymore. There was also a pop up thing that I just got and it was a small survey of what I thought of the new format. I filled that out too. Maybe if we all e-mail our complaints to TA and respond to the pop up survey letting them know we don't like it they'll do someting. It's way too time consuming to have to re-read everything to see if we've already read it. What were they thinking?

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: This new TA format

If the memory is starting to go it is a good idea to write things down. At a certain point we can't depend on others to do what we want. TripAdviser ROCKS! LIG ...IWM2....IMHO

(This was not a TA paid announcement!)

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,349 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: This new TA format

On my home computer, the right hand side of all the messages is cut off since they changed the format. I tried everything (including e-mailing trip advisor) and I still can't read a full message on the forums.

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: This new TA format

Well that's not good Schmerl.I believe in progress and improvement but they are going backwards on this one. They obviously know how to color code things that we have read before and it was a helpful tool.Did they forget how? It's nice to be able to scan through the posts and be able to tell if it's one that we've already read. It has nothing to do with memory. Hopefully they'll correct your problem.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
614 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: This new TA format

kaola, I don't care for the new format, either, and I also responded to the pop up survey. However, my computer still shows a color difference in the posts and reviews I have read. It's just not as pronounced a difference -- must vary depending on your computer. I also am not experiencing a problem with the text being cut off, but I've had that happen before on other sites. I'm sure TA is getting some feedback on this!

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: This new TA format

That's strange. I get no color difference at all. I'm on my work computer now. I'll try it again when I get home on that one. Maybe that will be better.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
614 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: This new TA format

On my home computer, which displays the new TA format, the posts I have not read are a dark blue; the ones I have read are sort of mauve/purple. Both colors are rather dull and are not far enough apart in the spectrum, so I guess the distinction isn't apparent on some computers. My work computer still brings up the old format. The colors are much brighter and more distinct. Go figure....

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: This new TA format

OK. Now I'm home and it's still the old format with definate colors. Very strange, huh? It must be the difference in the computers like you said. I hardly ever post from work anyway so I hope it stays like this. Let us know Schmerl if you get the full page back.

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,485 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: This new TA format

Well of course to each his or her own, and I don't have a problem with that, but I for one also don't have a problem with the new format. My guess is that the problem of the links not showing up as visited or not probably is something that could have been programmed out, but mostly I look at the visual display of information in the reviews, and I've seen them put through lots and lots of design changes in that respect over the past few years, and while I might prefer it a bit differently, this new design does seem to be less cluttered than many others.

FWIW! :-)

Steve

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,349 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: This new TA format

I still can not get a full message. The further down the page I go, the more of the message is cut off on my right. The times of the poisting s don't even show as I scroll down the forum page. It's hard to decifer a message when a good bit of the test is cut off!

I do get a slight color change on messages I've read.

On my work computer everything is just fine!!!

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,485 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: This new TA format

Just thinking out loud, here, but maybe some folks on some computers need to update their browsers or perhaps some other helper-style apps? I mean, so many reports that people see it fine it work but not at home or vice versa make me suspicious that some of the complaints may not be TA's fault. I just looked at the page for this discussion in up-to-date versions of Firefox, Safari and IE, all on an up-to-date Mac platform, and they all look fine for me. And you would think that if there were problems or incompatibilities from the source, they would if anything more likely be seen by Mac users (given the PC world's oblivion to Mac issues).

I know it's not unusual for me to hear complaints from people that an image doesn't appear properly or that our availability calendar doesn't pop up or something like that, but the vast majority of the time it seems to be an issue from the user's end, with their preferences or perhaps the version of software they're using.

Just a thought!

Steve