We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

xel ha/cozumel

canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
xel ha/cozumel

This is our fourth time to the Mayan riviera. We have stayed at riu resorts twice and the Bahia principe Tulum. We have chosen the Via Wyndham Azteca this trip, as we could not pass up the great deal. We are two families.....four adults/3 children aged 11, 10, 9. We have been to xaret (with kids) Xel ha, cozumel and Tulum without our kids. My question is....for excursions we are planning xel ha...not all inclusive, so that the kids can swim with the dolphins ( and still stay within our budget) We would also like to take the ferry to cozumel, and maybe cab it to a beach worth snorkelling. Any advice??? Re: beaches in cozumel. Approx cab ride to xel ha from Playa car Also any idea what the exchange rate is currently....US Dollars to mexican pesos??? Thanks in advance. So excited to be going back!!!

Aventuras Mayas
Scuba & Snorkeling, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Archaeology Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Alltournative Lifetime Experiences
Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Archaeology Tours
Living Dreams Mexico
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Archaeology Tours, Private Tours
Edventure Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: xel ha/cozumel

I would arrange a bus with 7 people since you will not fit into 1 taxiif you go to xel ha. In cozumel I usually ask a taxi/bus driver to take me to a beach i can snorkel at which has food/bathrooms.

canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: xel ha/cozumel

thanks so much...good to know:)

bellingham, wa
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: xel ha/cozumel

I would check directly with xel-ha via their website because they informed me that they no longer offer regular admission, now it's only all inclusive. I found this out because I went online to book tickets and wanted regular admission and couldn't find it. It was $67.50 p/p (not sure on kids prices). I contacted them to find out why I couldn't do it online and they said they only offer the all inclusive. Now, I don't know if that's online only or if you can buy regular admission at the gate. From what I've read, the all inclusive deal is the way to go though and I added it up in my head (roughly) with the prices that were mentioned in previous posts(snorkel gear, locker,towels but no food) and between regular and all inclusive there was only about $25 difference and I think I can eat/drink $25 worth of stuff. I guess I"ll find out when we get there.

canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: xel ha/cozumel

Wow...good to know! Thanks for the info! :)

van
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: xel ha/cozumel

just got back and went to xel ha with two kids 7 and 11 .

it cost $75 to get in at the gate for anyone over 55 inches and $50 for kids under. age doesn't matter.

dolphins were $89 for half hour and $139 for one hour which includes a foot push

canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: xel ha/cozumel

well....things have changed since I was last there! I assume that is an all inclusive rate...eats drinks etc. Still worth the price I think! Amazing snorkeling there! Thanks so much for the reply! :)

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: xel ha/cozumel

Is the 1 hour dolphin swim the only one that does the foot push. We were there 2 years ago, did the 1/2 hour and it was included but I understand things have changed. Want to give my parents the opp to do this with foot push...

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
458 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: xel ha/cozumel

If you want to snorkle at Cozumel I would highly suggest Planacar beach. You can hop on a boat and they have a guided tour out to a reef or two. I think it was around $30 per person. They have food, drinks and chairs. It will probably be not filled with cruisers so that is nice. I would suggest you bring your own equipment, but I think they have ones to use. Another beach is Dzul Ha. Those are the two big snorkeling places for what you are looking. We brought our kids to both last year and they were 9 and 10. If you go on the Coz. forum I think you will hear the same things. Hava a blast. Coz. is our favorite place.

Boothwyn...
Level Contributor
348 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: xel ha/cozumel

I returned from Cozumel. Loved it, loved it, loved it. Just as the previous poster stated, a must is Palancar Beach Club. They take you out to the 3 reefs for about an 1 1/2 hr. of snorkeling. FABULOUS! There was nothing like it. It was only $30.00 per person and they supply the snorkel gear. We also went to the Money Bar, formerly known as Dzul-Ha. That was free to snorkel there and they have snorkels to rent if you need them. I have to say that Cozumel was the best vacation I ever had.

Boothwyn...
Level Contributor
348 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: xel ha/cozumel

I just returned from Cozumel. Loved it, loved it, loved it. Just as the previous poster stated, a must is Palancar Beach Club. They take you out to the 3 reefs for about an 1 1/2 hr. of snorkeling. FABULOUS! There was nothing like it. It was only $30.00 per person and they supply the snorkel gear. We also went to the Money Bar, formerly known as Dzul-Ha. That was free to snorkel there and they have snorkels to rent if you need them. I have to say that Cozumel was the best vacation I ever had.