We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Tucan/Quetzal,Jan 30 2008

Maine
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just back from Tucan/Quetzal,Jan 30 2008

Just back tonight, and thought I'd drop a quick note to tide over the Beach reviewers, till I get to write and post photos.

The beach is showing signs of recovering a bit. When we got there, a narrow pathway on the water level was all there was in front of the bar/pool area.....not really even wide enough for 1 row of lounges.....maybe 8 or 10 feet wide. Day by day the strip grew into a triangular shaped area big enough for sailboats, kayaks and maybe 8 or 10 rows of lounges. By the time we left there were 75 or more lounges filled with happy sunbathers. That also took lots of pressure off the upper section of palapas/ lounges.

The crew of 6 guys were also working everyday ,dawn till dusk making progress pumping sand......very entertaining to watch, and forage for seashells in the wash too! No fumes or noise to bother you,.....quite uninvasive......ANYWAY, I'll be posting soon, and if you'd like a bunch of photos, e-mail me with your address, and I'll get them to you.

Uk
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Tucan/Quetzal,Jan 30 2008

sounds good to me am off there on the 5th Feb I look forward to reading the review if its up before then.

manitoba
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Tucan/Quetzal,Jan 30 2008

Thanks for the post, Charlie2na. We are headed that way on the 9th and have been wondering..........

Maine
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Tucan/Quetzal,Jan 30 2008

Yeah..... I was all worried regarding the beach situation too.....living review by review ! No worries, Things are on the upswing. While I'm sure it will take some time to get back to "normal" if thats even possible, there is plenty of everything to enjoy.

I did post this morning,however after typing my fingers off (search and peck method), for some reason, while tring to submit my post I lost everything! I couldn't dedicate that much time again so this version, although somewhat shortened covers most everything. You all will enjoy the Tucan/Quetzal. It really has it all.

Level Contributor
110 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Tucan/Quetzal,Jan 30 2008

What a relief this news is. We are going at the end of May and I am relieved that doing something about it.

We would love to see some pictures.

Maine
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Tucan/Quetzal,Jan 30 2008

I put a few up under my review. I have a few that I didn't post, but if anyone wants to see them, send me a message and I'll e-mail them to you...Send your address.

Michigan
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Tucan/Quetzal,Jan 30 2008

We returned on January 26th, after our fist visit (and DEFINATELY not our last... best vacation ever!) I thought I had seen progress on the beach while I was there too, but I also wanted to tell anyone worried, I actually had the BEST time sitting on those big sand bags! Ocean water to cool you off, and no sand in your suit! I never had the chance to see the beach before the erosion when it was like I had read in the reviews, but I am glad it is making a comeback.

Chicago
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from Tucan/Quetzal,Jan 30 2008

Thanks Charlie for giving an update so soon after your return. My husband & I will be there on Feb 28th and this is our 5th time there. One of things we loved about this place was the beach but there were a ton of other things that make this place the greatest and keeps us coming back. After 10 inches of snow today even 1 inch of beach will do!! Counting down the days, cannot wait!!

Maine
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from Tucan/Quetzal,Jan 30 2008

Yeah......wer'e getting snowed on too ! Kinda tough getting back in the swing....we keep looking for the buffet and someone to clear the dishes.......a cold reality.......the bed doesn't make itself anymore. As a true vacation addict....I'm already looking toward next year. Have a great trip

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from Tucan/Quetzal,Jan 30 2008

Charlie~~This might sound like a dumb question, but was the sand they're pumping in the same beautiful white sand? Just wondered because I remember when Sarasota/Longboat Key Florida did that, the sand became a grayish color.

Summer

10. Re: Just back from Tucan/Quetzal,Jan 30 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 08:22