We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Palapas closing? To affect Shangri La Caribe?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Las Palapas closing? To affect Shangri La Caribe?

We were looking at both properties as an option for June. Now I see Las Palapas is closing this year.

Anyone have the scoop on what is happening with Las Palapas and when it closes?

If we now book Shangri-La Caribe, I am worried about construction noise or similar coming from Las Palapas.

Any info is appreciated! Thanks!!!

wilmington nc
Level Contributor
916 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Palapas closing? To affect Shangri La Caribe?

i am quite sure shangri la is also closing june or july of this year, they have been bought out...

CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Palapas closing? To affect Shangri La Caribe?

Sad....

I have no info. Maybe a local will have the scoop.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Palapas closing? To affect Shangri La Caribe?

Shangri La is supposed to be closing this August. I just found out today that Las Palapas isn't closing until summer of 2009!!! Great news! This is the third time they've delayed the closing. Don't know why, just glad they did! Hopefully the plans fall through and the new owners keep it just the way it is! It's my absolute favorite place in Playa.

New York
Level Contributor
461 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Palapas closing? To affect Shangri La Caribe?

Shangri La is now scheduled to close April 2009. I was there last month, I asked, I got the word.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Palapas closing? To affect Shangri La Caribe?

I called Turquoise Reef and they said they will be open until at least April 2009! Time to go back one more time!!

6. Re: Las Palapas closing? To affect Shangri La Caribe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 01:19