We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

secrets capri????

florida
3 posts
Save Topic
secrets capri????

we are planning our honeymoon and have pretty much decided to go with Secrets Capri based on trip advisor ratings, personal recommendation and value. anyone with a wonderful experience to share or advice to give. I've heard a few bad things like bad food, slow service but the good seems to outway the bad by FAR. also, how easy is it to go explore outside the resort? how is the ride from the airport? any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Newmarket, ON...
Level Contributor
380 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: secrets capri????

satrimble14:

Secrets is approximately 45 km south of the airport. The transportation you use will determine the travel time. In the summer of '06, we were in a small van with one other couple who were dropped off at the Lindo. Our travel time was just under 40 minutes (in the evening).

Secrets is on a quiet and isolated beach when compared to PDC (it is 10 km north of Playa). You will need to taxi it to go anywhere, although if you are the walking type, the walk INTO PDC along the beach is great. We did it once and it took about 4 hours because of all the swimming we did. Exploring the beach north beyond the Esmerelda was not possible when we were there, but that may have changed. Check out the 'Research' link (then aerial/satellite photos) on Locogringo for a great view of the beaches north and south of PDC.

We did see a few people at Secrets with bikes, but I'm not sure where they came from. There were no rentals at the resort, as far as we could tell.

When I read your post, I was surprised by the references to bad food and slow service. Now I know it has been a while since we were there, but unless things have changed dramatically, there is no need to worry. We found the service to be impeccable and the food excellent. I'd go as far as saying getting to know the waitstaff was a highlight of our trip.

We opted for a 'tropical' view room because we spend little time indoors. We were really pleasantly surprised by the room we got (#220, south wing). It is the closest room of this category to the beach theand the views were fine. Walk time to the beach was literally a couple of minutes.

We loved the no reservation policy at Secrets. We always eat early and at Secrets, we had the best tables offered by arriving at opening (6.30 pm).

Do take care while in the water because the bottom can be rocky in places and this changes daily. We were told the beach in front of the resort is largely man made. Apparently, a natural limestone outcropping and mangrove swamp was removed and this apparently accounts for some of the rockiness and occasional murkiness of the water. However, this never interfered with our enjoyment of the water.

We're envious ... we'd go back with no reservations whatsoever.

Hope this helps

Bob

Fairfield,CT
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: secrets capri????

satrimble...We just got back from SC ( February14) . We went with 2 other couples that are long time friends. We have traveled extensively throughout the area. Our friends chose SC because they were there last year & loved it. That being said we decided to go with SC. The resort was beautiful , the beach was average, the service was average & 4 of the 5 restaurants were below average...IMHO it has gone a notch down since last year

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,423 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: secrets capri????

We had a great time as well. As far as the food and the service, it depends which restaurant you eat at. For example, we thought the food at the buffet was always good, but the food at the Asian restaurant was just OK. The service was always good, but it was a bit slow at the Italian restaurant.

Like most AI's, just be prepared to play the towel game!!

4. Re: secrets capri????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 12:19