We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private House Rentals

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Private House Rentals

There is a lot of information on these forums about hotels...but not much about private house rentals. Has anyoone rented a private house in Playa del Carmen? What are the upsides and downsides? It seems that renting a 5 BR house in Playacar costs a fraction of what a single hotel room for 2 people would cost....

Anyone have any experience with this ??

Any specific web sites you would recommend ?

Thanks!

Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private House Rentals

We stayed in a resort in Playa del Carmen and wished we had stayed in a home...I have found out if you go to Caribbean Villas.com it shows you all kinds of homes and the areas they are in. Some even offer house staff.

Good Luck!

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private House Rentals

Thanks. Anyone else?

New Jersey, near...
Level Contributor
323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private House Rentals

You're right not much said about rentals? Here is a web site that offers rentals in the area it also has a forum page?

www.locogringo.com/specials/newsletter.cfm

Good luck, Chuck

Indiana
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Private House Rentals

I booked a private home I found on homeexchange.com. also some good ones on vrbo.com. Owner has been great!

jersey
Level Contributor
112 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private House Rentals

I have done both. Meaning stayed at hotels and condos. Last year we actually did both in one trip. This year we are going back as usual and we will be renting a penthouse condo near Mamitas Beach. If you need any info just drop me a line.

USA
Level Contributor
700 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private House Rentals

we have looked into this for our family of 4 every year, and we have not chosen it simply for convenience (food, transportation, activities, etc.) The cost would actually be more for us to rent the condo/home, buy flights, arrange transporation and stock with groceries/liquor (not to mention mom will have to do the cooking / clean-up). Most rentals have the maid service option which is nice to have too. There are always restaurants to try, however we would have to get up, get taxis or find a way there - vs. the convenience of putting on a bathing suit, walking to breakfast, and having a huge AI buffet of breakfast waiting (and someone to clean it up.) As our children get older, a house/condo rental may be more appealing - but for now the AI activities and entertainment are what they love about vacation. We would love to stay at a condo in a resort setting - that would be ideal; we found a beautiful one on LogoGringo rental boards.

Would love to hear the adverse views of AI's to condo rentals!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,838 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private House Rentals

We rented a condo in PdC that was steps from La Quinta and a couple of blocks from the beach (wwww.palmacocos.com).

We'd already done a full week at a right-on-the-beach hotel in Isla Mujeres, so we were a bit beached out by then. Plus, having been in a hotel all week, we (especially the kids) were getting tired of restaurant food three times a day.

We LOVED staying in a condo. Our first morning, we took a fairly long walk to a large grocery store and stocked up on breakfast and snack-type food. A cab back to the condo cost a couple of dollars. Being so close to 5th Avenue, finding restaurants for our evening meal was no problem at all - we were positively spoiled for choice! A few paces from the condo in the opposite direction to 5th was a fairly busy road that ALWAYS had plenty of taxis that could be flagged down so venturing further afield was very easy too. (I think the longest wait for a cab was maybe 2 minutes .... and that was only because we specifically needed a station-wagon type to accommodate our suitcases for the trip back to the airport!)

Although I know that some charter packages can be very cheap, I'd respectfully disagree with the previous poster that renting private accommodation is more expensive than AI - in my experience, it has always worked out to be MUCH cheaper.

PdC was our first experience with a private rental but since then, we've used several private rentals in Europe and the US. Every time, we've ended up with TONS more space than a hotel room for considerably less money. Some of the houses we've rented even had their own pools in the backyard! According to my daughter, the house and pool in Spain was the highlight of our month-long vacation in Europe! As for maid service, the rentals we've used offer it weekly but it's been available more often if you want to pay a couple of extra dollars for it. It's true, a private rental doesn't offer a turn-down service with candy on the pillow but that sort of thing doesn't turn my crank anyway!

We've done AI vacations too, so I feel I'm somewhat qualified to pass an opinion on both. In a nutshell, AIs are an incredibly convenient, "no brainer" kind of option and definitely the way to go if you want to be waited upon hand and foot. Constant access to food is fantastic if you're the parent of a couple of eating machines, as I am. If you're a drinker, then I can easily see how AI could be a more cost-effective holiday.

Private rentals generally offer lots more space and usually an extra bathroom - handy if there are more than two people in your party. You'll usually have to arrange your own transportation to/from the airport too. However, it's my experience that private rentals work out to be MUCH less expensive than even an non-AI hotel. In Seville, Spain, we spent one night in a hotel that was about 50 paces from the apartment that we rented for three nights - both of which were in an absolutely prime location. The hotel could be described as "charming" - full of character but a bit run-down and shabby at the edges. In typical older European hotel style, there was no air-conditioning and the four of us were in one, small room with a teensy bathroom. By comparison, the apartment had three good-sized bedrooms, two generous bathrooms, a HUGE living room/dining room, two balconies big enough to sit out on and a fully equipped kitchen (including a washing machine). Coupled with fantastically efficient air-conditioning and white marble floors everywhere, this place was a palace compared to the hotel .... and THREE nights cost us about $10 more than ONE night in the hotel!!!!

To answer the OPs original question (!!) - if you Google "vacation rentals" + "Playa del Carmen" you'll get a TON of hits.

jersey
Level Contributor
112 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private House Rentals

I would tend to say if you have kids that are in the 2-11 year range a AI might be better because everything is just there for you. Not too much running around and you can actually chill.

This year my wife and I are renting a condo. Next year when we go we will be taking my son who just now is 2 months old to an AI. This year we are leaving him with grandma so we much rather to the condo thing.

USA
Level Contributor
700 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private House Rentals

good info and points of view.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
120 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Private House Rentals

CDK,

I just got back from a week at a private home. It was located in Playacar. Five minutes walk to 5th ave., 2 minutes walk to the beach, and 30 second walk to the communal pool. It had 4 bedrooms. Each with it's own ensuite and king-sized bed. The price was only $2500 a week. We shopped for groceries and did breakfast and lunch at the house. We went out for dinner each night. This was a lot cheaper than an AI. If you don't mind opening your own beer and making your own drinks this is the best way to go! If you need more info or want the web-site address for the property email me.

Shane