We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Really, Really good family hotel ?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
9 posts
Save Topic
Really, Really good family hotel ?

Please can someone help......??

We (my wife and 9yr old daughter) are flying to Cancun 27th Dec 2008 for two weeks, all the 5* hotels we like the look of don't allow children, we don't want to be in the 'hustle' of Cancun and thought of the Riviera Maya area as we are planning to visit all the cultural sites, can anyone recommend a top quality 5* resort/hotel that would fit the bill, budget is not an issue, any recommendations gratefully received, many thanks.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,558 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Really, Really good family hotel ?

How about Moon Palace or Dreams Tulum, Playacar Palace or Fairmont Mayakoba(not AI).

I understand your issue. It is hard to find a place that allows kids that looks like ERC or IB Grand. It seems they don't make super high end resorts that allow kids.

Iowa
Level Contributor
949 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Really, Really good family hotel ?

check out the Azul Beach Hotel in Puerto Morelos. I hear it's a great little hotel that really caters to families. It's part of the Karisma hotels

www(dot)karismahotels(dot)come

Williamsburg, VA
Level Contributor
352 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Really, Really good family hotel ?

Take a look at Dreams Tulum. We liked it. Great beach, good food and family friendly. Went one year at Christmas it was full of kids. It is very far from the airport(but close to ruins) and there was nothing much going on at night.(4*?)

Iberostars are also good and consistant. There are 7 in riviera maya and 1 on cozumel. They have a lot to do and many restaurants. Very family friendly. Great pools. I have been to a few of them and had a blast.(not quite 5* more like 4-4 1/2*)

I've booked Hotel El cid for our family but don't know yet how it will stack up. It looks nice with 1/2/3br. suites and all of the amenities of a lux.

class resort and it is family friendly with a great pool.(4 1/2*?)

I agree that most 5* are adult only or to quiet for family fun. Maybe a 4+* is a better bet.

* The rating system is very tricky so I decide more from reviews and amenities. (Thanks TA members!)

London
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Really, Really good family hotel ?

Many thanks for the feedback its much appreciated, looked at the suggestions they all look pretty good, someone has highly recommended the new 'Barceló Palace' as it has several pools/kids pools, great beach and by the look of it a gazillion restaurants, there are a few negatives on TA but if look into them they appear to be more to do with people not liking to walk anywhere and a couple of delays, nothing serious.

Quick question anybody know how long it would take to drive from Riviera Maya to Chichen Itza ?

Thanks again.

Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
763 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Really, Really good family hotel ?

Check out Grand Mayan. Kids Club looked great. Family friendly. Spread-out, but walk not bad and shuttle service is ok.

toronto
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Really, Really good family hotel ?

Mayan Riv is a great place to go with kids, my sister and I with our kids (9 ans 12) went last year stayed at the RIU Tequila and this year leaving April we are going to try Grand Occ. Xcaret it is a really good place for family and kids... I will post a review upon our return it is also about 10 minutes from Playa Del Carm which is also a great place to go for the day went last year. Can also take a boat over to Cozumel.

Good Luck

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Really, Really good family hotel ?

From Playa del Carmen it's about 3 1/2 hours to Chichen Itza.....one way.

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Really, Really good family hotel ?

Well, I think the answer depends on whether your priority is a posh location for the parents or a very nice location that will also have lots of activities for your daughter. If the latter, I agree with soldanother about the Iberostars. In particular, take a look at Iberostar Maya. It's an excellent 4-4 1/2*, very family oriented, with a ton of fun kid-stuff, but a lot of the amenities you would expect in an adults only vacation (spa, salon, high-end shops, nice restaurants/lounges, etc.). Good luck in your search and, since budget is not an issue, may I come along.

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
790 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Really, Really good family hotel ?

I agree with newtoplaya!! Iberostar have wave pool and lazy river, which I'm sure your daughter would love!

London
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Really, Really good family hotel ?

Hi,

Thanks again, the Iberostar Maya looks v good, I'm awaiting info as its not easy to get Mexican hotels arranged here in the UK without a flight package, TA members come up trumps again with recommendations, kind regards Rob