We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants? Shopping? Car? Ferry to Cozumel? Snorkeling?

Stamford...
Level Contributor
578 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants? Shopping? Car? Ferry to Cozumel? Snorkeling?

Ok! We're booked - April - can't wait!

3 gals late 20s/early 30s..

Now - several questions?

1. Restaurant recommendations? Fun places w/good food?

2. Ferry to Cozumel - worth it? What is there to do there?

3. Is the snorkeling good in PDC? Any operator recommendations?

4. Is it worth it to rent a car for the ruins? Maybe visit a village or two on the way? Which ruins should we go to?

5. Is there good shopping or any must buys?

Thanks!!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants? Shopping? Car? Ferry to Cozumel? Snorkeling?

There's no snorkeling at PDC off the shore. They will take you out on a boat and it's OK I guess. Take the ferry to Cozumel and go on a snorkel/sail tour from there - lots of fun! I would avoid car rentals. Chichen Itza is 3 hours each way, a very long day. Tulum about half an hour - you can take a tour, taxi or collectivo. Lots of fairly fun restaurants in PDC - never had any bad food! You can snorkel at Xel-Ha or Xcaret both great.

CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants? Shopping? Car? Ferry to Cozumel? Snorkeling?

Check out Akumal for snorkeling and the chance to see turtles. Rent a car or take the bus or colectivo to Tulum Mayan site then swim on the gorgeous beach. Check out my trip/food report here http://tinyurl.com/2lbwjg

Search these forums with keywords, especially car rental. Click on the traveler's articles on the left like Things to Do and find the Dining one.

Have a great time!

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i15504-Playa_De…

Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants? Shopping? Car? Ferry to Cozumel? Snorkeling?

I think the trip to Cozumel is well worth your time. The ferry is about $11 each way and takes about 30 minutes. Rent a car (about $35 a day) and drive around the island. The driving in Cozumel is very easy (except maybe in the middle of town). The east side of the island is mostly undeveloped and there are numerous beach front bars and restaurants. Stop at Chen Rio for the fresh seafood and Coconuts for the view.

The best snorkeling from shore in Cozumel is at Punta Sur on the southern end of the island. $10 entrance fee. There are some small ruins, an old lighthouse that you can climb to the top of for a great view and a lagoon with crocodiles. Or go to Playa Palancar and take the snorkel boat out to the reef for some of the best snorkeling in the entire region (about $35 a person).

If you happen to be there on a Sunday, go downtown in the evening. This is the locals time to party, there is live music and other entertainment.

If interested, here are some pics from my trip last summer.

http://www.cozumel.texmaps.com/

Stamford...
Level Contributor
578 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants? Shopping? Car? Ferry to Cozumel? Snorkeling?

Thanks so much!

Karen - why do you say not to do a car rental?

Playa Palancar sounds great!

Anyone have any restaurant recommendations?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants? Shopping? Car? Ferry to Cozumel? Snorkeling?

The traffic scares me there in PDC - we saw a girl get hit on a scooter. Everyone seems to drive like they are the only vehicle on the road, with no regard for speed limits either - we've had to tell our taxi drivers to slow down we'd like to get there alive! I just feel you don't need the headache - taxis are very reasonable (and fast - haha). But lots of people do rent cars I would assume.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,914 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants? Shopping? Car? Ferry to Cozumel? Snorkeling?

Stay off of mopeds/scooters.

Is saving a few dollars all your life is worth?

Iowa
Level Contributor
949 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants? Shopping? Car? Ferry to Cozumel? Snorkeling?

go to Playa.info and book the Tulum and Beyond trip with Mitch. You'll have a blast and get to do some snorkeling. We loved eating at Babe's-yummy food and drinks. Make sure you bring back some chocolate bars from Ah Cacao and some vanilla from pretty much any store you walk into!

cqt
Southern California
Level Contributor
277 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants? Shopping? Car? Ferry to Cozumel? Snorkeling?

Hi, CaboGirl:

3. We booked with Tank-Ha (on 5th between 8 & 10 streets) but they cancelled due to bad weather; seemed like a good and honest outfit.

Two days later, we ended up taking a snorkeling tour with the El Cid Marina (in Puerto Moreles) - the snorkeling there was amazing. It was a 5-7 mins boat ride to this calm area on the inside of the reef - coral and fish were amazing. The tour only had 5 people so it was great!

4. We went to Tulum and Xel-Ha via taxi. We weren't brave enough to drive, but it's not a hard drive at all since it was a straight shot down the 307 Highway. Tulum met our expectations - it wasn't big but breathtaking with the sea as a backdrop.

5. We bought a beautiful hammock at the Tulum Ruins - bargained it down to $100 (from $250). Avoid the first stall/store by the parking lot - he quoted me $600 for that same hammock. I was a bit annoyed that they inflated the prices for sucker tourists - I'd rather have a fair price and pay for it. Just figure out what you think is a fair price and offer it.

We also got some silver jewelry in PDC. You just have to look around, but don't buy until you've been in a few stores because you'll start to recognize the quality silver and also have a good sense of the prices. In most cases, we were able to get about 20% off the asking price even by paying with credit card. Be prepared to walk away because they will invariably call you back.

Have fun!

Bird in Hand...
Level Contributor
76 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants? Shopping? Car? Ferry to Cozumel? Snorkeling?

The shopping in Playa can be quite fun. My wife haggles for bargains with all of the skills and ferocity of a middle eastern rug dealer! Its fun to just sit back and watch the show. Never, never, never pay the asking price...for anything.

10. Re: Restaurants? Shopping? Car? Ferry to Cozumel? Snorkeling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 05:24