We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets vs. Sandals

Florida
5 posts
Save Topic
Secrets vs. Sandals

I'm torn, Secrets or Sandals Resorts? Who's been any your opinions please. Everyone is scaring me about Mexico and how you get off the plane and there's people with guns everywhere and poor children asking for money. I love Secrets but my fiance doesn't want to touch Mexico. Help!

New Milford, CT
Level Contributor
348 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets vs. Sandals

Good lord who puts this stuff into your head, go to PDC and have a great time. The oly guns I have ever seen are with the police and military and I have never seen anyone beg for money. You can thank me when you get back

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets vs. Sandals

They really are not comparable properties in my opinion. I've visited both and I would take Sandals anyday, hands down. Not only are the locations of Sandals properties better, but the quality of food, and overall property is better. Sandals can have 1,000 people on a resort and you'd barely know it. Secrets has a 1,000 and you definetly can tell. The only outstanding thing about Secrets are their rooms.

As far as the beggars and crime...you'll find that anywhere...even in the states. Just remember that when you leave the country that the places you are going to ARE less fortunate than you most often so be considerate and do try to spread the wealth a little. These people begging aren't just begging...they need it.

California
Level Contributor
444 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets vs. Sandals

Secrets is fantastic. The rooms are out of this world. The service is great, they can't do enough for you. There is no reservations for any restaurant and never a wait. They have a french,asian,mexican,italian,steak and seafood restaurant. Plus they have 24 hour room service. Breakfast is buffet and at lunch you have several choices. They have a barbeque on the beach everyday. They have a pizza place and a regular sit down restaurant with great shrimp cocktails. They even serve lunch around the pool if you can get off your chair.They will pack a lunch for you if you need one when you leave the resort. They have 11 pools and the best spa in Mexico. The resort NEVER seemed crowed at anytime. Its new so everything was fresh with out the worn out look. I have been to Mexico 5 times and alway stay in 5 star resorts. About the begging children I have never seen any. The police do carry guns, just like they do here in the states. Tell your boyfriend not to believe everything he hears. Have a great vacation where ever you decide to go.

Delaware
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets vs. Sandals

I've been to both -- Sandals in the Bahamas and Secrets Capri in Mexico. BY FAR, Secrets Capri was so much better. We paid more for Sandals too! We were so disappointed in Sandals. I mean it! Secrets was the best resort and vacation we ever had. From the rooms to the food to the beach to the service -- it was great! We've been to Mexico a number of times and never have I ever seen or had a child (or adult for that matter) ask me for money. No guns on anyone but the police.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,292 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets vs. Sandals

We stayed at Sandals in Antigua. Loved Antigua, but thought Sandals was so-so. I don't know that I will even go back to a Sandals, unless the price is right - which it was for us in Antigua. I'm glad someone started this thread. I've been keeping my eyes on one of the Secrets resorts. I'm just waiting for a good last minute deal. We are such easy going people, and are quite happy with most 3 or 4 stars, but once in a while I like to sneak one of these in!

The military and police carry guns, and yes, we see poor children begging for money. But have you been to Jamaica? It's really not any different. And honestly, I feel very safe in Mexico-been many many times without any kind of problems at all. And, never been sick in Mexico either!

Michigan
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets vs. Sandals

I stayed at both Secrets(2004) and Sandals Ocho Rios(2003). If you are looking to relax by the pool or beach and are 40 and older then go to Secrets. Me and my husband went to Secrets for our one year Anniversary. We are in our late twenty's and like to have fun(not crazy fun but, FUN). We like to participate in activites and be a little active while on vaction not just lounge all day. At Secrets this is what majority of the people did. The rooms are nice because they are all similar with small differences and they all have Jacuzzis. We booked a junior suite and I should have just gotten a deluxe room and saved the money especially after seeing a couple that we met room, almost exact. Sandals has many different classification for rooms and they are all noticeably different. We booked Concierges level but that has changed since they have remodeled the resort(it is now $1,000 higher not worth that much more). We had twice as much fun at Sandals we met people from all over the world and the majority of the people were 35 and younger. It seemed that they had a different activity every 15min. and they tried to get as many participants as possible by offering prizes. They never pressured only encouraged. If you wanted to be active you could be and if you want to lounge in quiet and relax you could. Both are beautiful inside and out. I thought the food was about the same. Hope this helps!!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,292 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets vs. Sandals

Our personal experience with Sandals was such the opposite! Keep in mind I have not been to a Secrets yet. It was all luvy duvy couples who wouldn't talk to anyone else. We tried striking up conversations with others, because that is what we like to do on vacation-meet other people, and we'd get a "hi" and that was all! Everyone was staring at their wedding rings - in all fairness the Antigua Sandals is known for their honeymooners. And one night we mangaged to make it up past 10pm, so we went to the disco. Karaoke only. And ONLY LOVE songs! Good Grief! The resort itself was gorgeous. They had many small pools spread out over the grounds. But don't make a splash or anything in the pool Be very very quiet! If you make any noise, people reading their books or sleeping would give you a nasty look. I guess it just wasn't what we expected. I had always dreamed of going to a Sandals, but it was disappointing. Now I dream of going to a Secret's Resort - some day when I save my pennies again. Right now we love the 3 or 4 stars we've been going to, and at the lower prices, we are able to go more often!

Michigan
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets vs. Sandals

Well if you are scared of Mexico, you can go to Secrets in Punta Cana. This is where me and my husband went for our honeymoon and we loved it, unless you don't like Punta Cana. We thought it wa a beautifull resort with good food and service was great too. For honeymooners it's a great resort, they really make you feel special. If you have any more questions, you can email me at BKharson@mcanlaw.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets vs. Sandals

I have been to 3 Sandals & 1 Secrets - which was Secrets Excellence in Mexico. From the UK, Sandals costs, on average, twice as much as Secrets. Secrets in terms of food, service, rooms, everything wins hands down for me, especially service. The no reservation policy for restaurants is great. Sandals can be hassle getting where you want, when you want. I don't want to plan everything out on holiday, too much of that at home.

Friendliness of other guests? Well most at Secrets were from US - we met some of the friendliest, nicest, most fun people it has been my pleasure to be with. Sandals, well lots from UK, so some are rather up themselves, want to talk how much money they have (yeah, right) & even politics(!) - we're on holiday, please! Give me Secrets any day, and the people we met there were the icing on the cake!

As for beggars in Mexico, didn't see any, first ones I saw were in my home city here when I arrived home. Mexico is wonderful & safe.

ontario
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets vs. Sandals

Mexico is great we feel safer there then say in Jamaica.We have been to two different Sandals resorts but never to a Secrets.As far as I'm concerned Sandals is way overpriced and the service was not the greatest.We had better food and service at a 5 star in Cancun.