We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

17 Days to go, what to pack?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
174 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
17 Days to go, what to pack?

My wife and I are taking our first trip to the Cancun area. We are staying at the new Valentin and are quite excited. But.....what do we pack??? Any ideas of things we may not think about or don't know about? I have learned alot reading all the posts on here the last few weeks like bringing peso's and tip money....other than that what do we need???

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 17 Days to go, what to pack?

-ziplock baggies (comes in handy for wet suits, other stuff.

-If you have to dress for dinner, bring long pants/close toes shoes, collared shirt for men. Women can get away with most anything except jeans.

-immodium (just in case)

-Aspirin

Those items come to mind right now. I'm sure others will have some great ideas for you.

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 17 Days to go, what to pack?

Hi WTalbotAustin ... as food for thought, here is a list that a poster named SunshineSharon put together after asking "What Little Item Do You Bring?" I am pretty sure that she wouldn't mind if I re-post it here for you. Clearly you will not need everything on this list, but it may help you think of things that might come in handy.

Here is the latest list of items that have been found useful while traveling. I tried to make this in two columns but TA posting format does not allow for multiple columnar formatting, sorry. I make no claims as to actual usefulness. :-)

Nite Lite

Books

Waterproof plastic case for $ & keys

Foldable clothes hamper

Squirt bottle for pool side

Power strip

Bubba keg / Insulated mug

Zip Loc bags

Duct tape

Scented dryer sheets

Bottle opener

Mini fan

Dramamine

Q tips

Foam mattress topper

Ear drops

Pocket sized tissues

Extension cord

Scrubbies (washcloths)

Antibacterial gel

Cortisone cream

Soft sided cooler

Pringles

Pillow cases

Walkie talkies

Tea lites

Ipod w/ waterproof case & extra batteries

Lysol spray

Beach bag

Baby wipes

Sunglasses cleaner

Bubble wrap

Ice Breaker gum

Travel size TP

Wrinkle release

Empty suitcase

Ink pens

Dvd’s

$1 & $5

First aid kit

Laundry stick

Milk of Magnesia

Travel size sewing kit

Floatie for pool

Aloe vera gel

English / Spanish Dictionary

Note pad

Travel Alarm Clock

After Bite

Bug Spray (DEET)

Imodium

Wine Opener

Envelopes for Tips

Plastic cups

Vicks Vaporub

Lip Sunblock

Clothespins

Kite

Toys for local children

Beach umbrella

Clothes hangers

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 17 Days to go, what to pack?

My first two or three times to Mexico my husband made me bring everything but the kitchen sink!

Playa is a fast growing, modern city with stores where you can buy anything you forgot or din't bring. The gift shops have pretty decent prices on most anything you might need.

Now after ten years I can pack myself in one suitcase, not my husband yet! My goal is to carryon, he will never be able to meet that goal, yet he only wears half of it and I have to rewash when we get home

Yes I bring the power strip to keep everything plugged into one spot, have left camera chargers behind before. Zip lock bags for wet things and sea shells, travel sizes of stomach and headache stuff and bandaides. Have never needed anything else from the previuos list before

Everything else I left behind except for prescription meds and sunscreen. I even use the hotel shampoos and lotions and don't bring my own.

I bring two skirts and one sundress, 3 or 4 blouses. one tshirt and one short incase we go on a tour. Three bathing suits and two cover ups. one flip flop for the pools, one pair nice falts sandels for dinner and a comfy pair of sandels for walking

All hotels have a book case of books left by guest, I use that.

We bring lots of one's and five's for tips

I can tell you that we still bring way too much and you have to carry these bags thru customs both there and at home. In Feb my fanily of five had ten bags! We looked like we were moving there, granted only one was mine but still the poor bell boy at the Hotel, he wasn't amused!

I have read many post that say lay everything out on the bed then remove half of it before you pack. I think this is very true, but as I said my husband doesn't.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
174 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 17 Days to go, what to pack?

ok, quite a few things I did not consider. Do scuba or skin divers pack their own masks and snorkle?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 17 Days to go, what to pack?

Before overpacking, check with your airline for luggage guidelines. Some of them are now allowing only 1 checked bag. Extra $$ for checking more than one bag.

One thing you need to take is a copy of your passport and keep it in a separate place than your original. I've never needed it, but it would be invaluable if the original was lost or stolen.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
174 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 17 Days to go, what to pack?

wow I never thought of the passport copy...

Bird in Hand...
Level Contributor
76 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 17 Days to go, what to pack?

Wow indeed. Must be one heck of an after hours Mexican vacation party where you are going...duct tape, tea lights, vapo rub and clothes pins??? I want to see the travel pics....LOL.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
174 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 17 Days to go, what to pack?

Yeah, I am sure I will skip a few of the items on that long list posted.

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 17 Days to go, what to pack?

My apologies for trying to help.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,627 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 17 Days to go, what to pack?

As far as clothes, place everything out on a bed then put one half of it back.