We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Capri or New Secrets Maroma Beach??

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Topic
Secrets Capri or New Secrets Maroma Beach??

Hello,

I have been reading up on the all-inclusive resorts in Riviera Maya and had pretty much decided on Secrets Capri. Now I have learned of Secrets Maroma Bch and I admit I'm intrigued. Going to a brand new resort has it's pros and cons I'm sure and since I have never been to an all-inclusive, I thought I'd check with you experts! We have never been to Riv Maya or Cancun. So we thought we'd like to try it for our 25th anniversary this fall. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Darthmommy

Newmarket, ON...
Level Contributor
380 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Capri or New Secrets Maroma Beach??

Darthmommy:

If it were our trip, we'd avoid a new resort for many months after it opens.

Research some of the recent openings (Esmerelda, Mayakoba, Valentin, etc.) and you'll see a common thread ... soft openings. Resorts will open in varying degrees of completion and/or competency. This soft opening period is used to generate income for the resort, complete building, hire staff as demand increases, iron out management and staffing issues, etc.

This is not to say your vacation will be compromised, but there is that risk. On the positive side, resorts often offer steep discounts during this period which can be very appealing.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,340 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Capri or New Secrets Maroma Beach??

The resort will have been open several months by the fall. Maroma beach is supposed to be one of the most beautiful anywhere. Capri does not have a greast beach. Secrets Maroma looks like it's going to be one of the best around. I'd go for it!!!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Capri or New Secrets Maroma Beach??

We love the beach and would absolutely book Maroma.

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Capri or New Secrets Maroma Beach??

Thank you for your input! I think I'll go for the 'tried and true' as they say. I've been leaning toward Secrets Capri and I'm not sure I want to try a brand new resort when I have never been to Riv Maya or an all-inclusive before. I did read some of the reviews for the newer resorts and it does seem to take them a bit to get their feet under them. That is to be expected. Looking to be pampered for my 25th anniv. and Capri seems to get high marks for that! Thanks again, DMommy

Boston
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Capri or New Secrets Maroma Beach??

Definitely going to be keeping my eye on Secrets Maroma for our next trip. Looks to me like the nicest beach of anywhere outside the hotel zone and may actually be nicer than most spots there. Facilities wise it looks like it will be just as nice of any of the Excellence or other top notch Adults only AI's.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Capri or New Secrets Maroma Beach??

Darthmommy,

We have been to a few new resorts within months of the grand openings. Capri was one of them, ERC was another and we're going to EPM next month for our 30th anniversary.

Granted, if you go in the first month or so of operation, things may not to totally finished and the staff might be a little rough around the edges. On the other hand, you may get a great price to go during this time. In our case, we couldn't pass up the deals that we got and we probably wouldn't have been able to afford the regular prices. After a few months, you would never know that it is a brand new resort because everything runs so smooth.

Secrets is a wonderful chain and they will do it right at Maroma Beach. If you can find a deal and can stand the occasional minor problem, I say go for it and have a great time!

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Capri or New Secrets Maroma Beach??

I have been watching all the new resorts including Maroma, and at this point it seems like there are alot of great choices. Eventually, you have to just jump in and pick one. We're going to Secrets Capri this time, but I'm looking at Maroma for the next one!

DMommy

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
572 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Capri or New Secrets Maroma Beach??

Hi all,

Just to put our two cents in, we've been to Secrets Capri 6 times in the past 4 years and were planning on returning again this year, but now are looking at Maroma also! Especcially since the GM from Capri is now at Maroma. It appears the opening date for Maroma has been pushed back to August and we are looking at leaving Sept. 13th, so not sure if going to Maroma within a month or so of opening is a good thing or bad thing.

Any additional thoughts on this would be appreciated!

9. Re: Secrets Capri or New Secrets Maroma Beach??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 07:22