We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any tips for sightseeing?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Any tips for sightseeing?

First, I'd like to say that this is a great source of information...great site!!

I'm new to this and I will be taking my first trip to the Grand Mayan Princess April 27th.

I've found lots of great information on the site, but was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice on seeing some Mayan culture?

I would love to see Chichen Itcha and other cultural wonders.

Any advice out there???

Thanks in advance

Michigan
Level Contributor
185 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any tips for sightseeing?

Not sure where the Grand Mayan Princess is- Is it near Playa Del Carmen? If so there is a lot to experience. Lots of Cenotes in Tulum, along with the ruins. You could do a jungle tour or kayack in the Sian Kaan, the worlds largest biosphere. Ive also heard good things about Coba and Chichen Itza- both near Vallodid. So much to choose from.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any tips for sightseeing?

Thanks bmohlman!!

If anyone has anymore topics or hints that would be great!!!

Are there any tours I should stay away from?? Other info would be greatly appreciated!

Edmonton, Ab
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any tips for sightseeing?

We went to Xcaret park for a day, they have many things to do there and a great evening Mayan show. I loved the river you can float down in life jackets, it was a great way to cool off from the soaring heat, you can also do many other things there like swimming with the dolphins for an extra charge.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any tips for sightseeing?

CBsunseeker, I'm pretty new around here also. Just type in either Grand Sunset Princess or Grand Riviera Princess in the Search bar above the forums under Playa del Carmen, and you will get so much information on this resort, you won't know what to do with it all. *Ignore most of the posts that came before Februray though, or you'll get freaked out! This place seems to be getting better and better. We're booked for September so be sure to post when you get back!

highlands ranch, co
Level Contributor
60 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any tips for sightseeing?

I am going down in a couple of weeks. One thing that we are doing that I have heard a ton of great things about it edventures. He basically takes you where ever you want to go but usually swimming in a cenote, snorkeling with the sea turtles, swimming in a lagoon and you can add on ziplining, cliff jumping, Tulum, etc. He is very affordable, makes for a looonnnggg day and has ONLY terrific reviews on the ports of call section of cruisecritic. we are also ziplining through the jungle and taking a catamaran out on the sea. Can't wait!

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any tips for sightseeing?

I understand Chichen Itza is THE premier Mayan ruin to see; it's the best, etc. However, since we were in PDC such a short time, we didn't want to devote 5-6 hours of drive time (that's round trip), so we visited Tulum instead. One plus is that Tulum is on the water, so you get that ocean breeze. Our guide told us that since Chichen Itza is inland, the heat can be brutal. It was indeed hot this past Saturday, so then I was doubly glad I was at Tulum. That's not to discourage you against Chichen Itza - just another opinion to consider.

Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
534 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any tips for sightseeing?

Next time we go to the PDC area we will probably visit Coba. I don't think it is as big as Chichen Itza (spelling?) but you can still climb the pyramid.

Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
534 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any tips for sightseeing?

I wanted to also add that Coba is not as long a ride to get to as Chichen Itza either. Not discouraging that either, as I have heard fantastic things from people who have been there.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Any tips for sightseeing?

Thanks everyone for the info!!

Chechen Itza does seem like I big trip. I have some decisions to make thats for sure!!! I just don't want to loose that much time from the beaches!!!

Thanks again!!

25 days to go!

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
496 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any tips for sightseeing?

Coba is a definate must do if you want to see ruins. They are still in the process of excuvating, so it is very interesting to see.