We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Playa & would LOVE some help!

Shreveport, LA
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time to Playa & would LOVE some help!

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Mexico & we’re having a hard time deciding on where to stay. We would prefer an all inclusive vacation & would like to spend roughly $2500 (including airfare). I’m having a difficult time deciding on whether or not to stay in Playa (we’re looking at Secrets Capri) or in Cancun. I’ve heard that Cancun is often filled with college kids and is a “tourist trap”. Which place has a better beach? Which one would be more of an intimate getaway? Where could we stay (in Playa) so we would be fairly close to town? I would really appreciate any help! THANKS!

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
496 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Playa & would LOVE some help!

I would highly recomend the Riu Lupita. It is not directly on the beach, but they have a beach club with a shuttle that runs every 30 mins. The shuttle also stops at the entrance to town, so you can go into PDC anytime you like. It is also only about a 20 minute walk. The Lupita is much smaller then the other Riu's, and the atmosphere is more intimate. You can go to the other Riu's for breakfast and lunch, as well as use their beaches, pools, and bars. There are 3 other Riu's all in the same vacinity. The Yukatan, the Tequilla, and the Playacar. There are also a couple of Riu Palace's, but I do not believe you can use their ammenitites.

As far as the beaches, I have never been to Cancun, but the beaches close to Playa Del Carmen do have quite a bit of huricane damage. There is a nice beach in Playa Del Carmen, but most of the resorts in the Playa Car area have had their beaches decimated by the hurricanes of late.

Etters, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Playa & would LOVE some help!

Sorry artie, but I disagree with the Lupita. It is generally not even offered to Americans at all and is geared towards the european crowd. rism would not feel comfortable there.

What time of the year are you planning on going rism? Sept thru the middle of Dec are the cheapest times to go, with Christmas thru March being the most expensive. If you're looking at $1250.00pp you could probably get a nice middle of the line AI for that, but will be harder to find at that price during the high season.

Micki

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
496 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Playa & would LOVE some help!

Yes, there were a lot of Europeans there when we were there. Probably 60%. Did not notice if there were any Americans there. Not sure why you feel this would make her feel un-comfortable however. It certainly didn't bother us. We met a lot of nice people from across the pond.

Michigan
Level Contributor
185 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Playa & would LOVE some help!

Ive been to Playa many times and Ive seen the growth and it's getting to be the happening spot- move over Cancun. If your seeking quieter areas have you ever considered Tulum or Cozumel?? You can always visit Playa for the day. As far as AI, Dreams Tulum is a good choice or Playa Azul in Cozumel.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
310 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Playa & would LOVE some help!

You mentioned Secrets Capri-it's an absolutely lovely resort. Definitely intimate as it's pretty small and quiet. EXCELLENT service. The sandy beach area is large, clean, very nice, although the water itself not as pretty as in Playa or Cancun. Playa is a short cab ride away if you want to go shopping.

We don't stay in Cancun itself any more for a bunch of reasons, but if you do go that route check out your hotel's beach before booking, lots of Cancun has no more beach so you have to be careful.

6. Re: First time to Playa & would LOVE some help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 17:22