We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Topic
holbox

hi we are stopping at the ib/tucan in june 08 a party of 33 some of us want to go to holbox [whale sharks] for the day and wish to get there by boat [good boat shade/space has anybody done this trip what was the boat like

Michigan
Level Contributor
185 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: holbox

Holbox is an island, the only way to arrive is via boat. They have a small ferry dock in Chiquila. They have 3 hour bus rides from Cancun to Chiquila real cheap. The small boat ferry took about 20 minutes and had places to sit on top or inside in the bottom. No vehicles are allowed on the island, golf cart taxis or bike taxis await people at the dock. Be sure to visit the town square area and visit the place that is famous for it's Lobster Pizza!

The following website may be helpful regarding whale shark tours (never did the tour)

http://www.isla-holbox.net/whalesharks.htm

On the website I found the following info:

"Full packages including round trip transportation in AC equipped vehicles, comfortable lodgings, whale trip excursions and even golf cart reservations are made via Amigo's. Email us please email us whalesharks@isla-holbox.net with your questions or for more information."

Bayfield, WI
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: holbox

Have you done the bus trip? Where do you catch the bus? We speak zero Spanish. Is that a problem? We will be coming from Isla via ferry and are considering spending one night on Holbox just for giggles. We enjoy new adventures.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,681 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: holbox

The second class bus to Chiquila leaves from the central ADO terminal in Cancun. You will likely find someone to help but a little spanish helps since usually the ticket agents speak little or no english and announcements are in spanish. To me , its really too much to consider for a day trip--you definitely need to spend the night.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: holbox

hi thanks for the replys i understand you can get a boat from playa del carmen it takes about 2 hrs to get to holbox and this boat stops with you all day .this is the boat i mean the info i was after is ,is there toilets on board plenty of shade ect

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,681 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: holbox

I have never heard of a boat from Playa del Carmen and dont believe such exists. And if it did, I think the trip would be much a longer trip than 2 hours.

Where did you get this information?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: holbox

hi i got info from dive shops in playa on internet but because we will be on the boat all day i must be a good boat

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,681 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: holbox

It must just be a dive trip because no regualar boat service Playa to Holbox.

Michigan
Level Contributor
185 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: holbox

Ive heard of no boat unless its a private boat. I find it hard to believe it would only take 2 hrs via boat. When you get more info, please let me know, I would love to know the price.

Houston
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: holbox

Has anyone taking the whale shark tour with holboxwhalesharktours.com? We are going in mid July to Cancun and want to do this trip. He says he picks us up the day before in an airconditioned van and we spend the night in Holbox then he returns us the next day. How long a trip is that? Any good lodging recommendations for just one night there?

10. Re: holbox

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 23:19