We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricanes?

New York
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hurricanes?

We are planning to go away in the middle of September for our one year wedding anniversary. I know that is hurricane season in many places. Didn't matter last year cause we went toHawaii but now it kind of stinks!

We are looking at ASP....does anyone know if this area gets hit with hurricanes frequently and how the weather is in September?

Thanks!

Encinitas, CA
Level Contributor
233 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricanes?

The weather in September can be great, but it's also in the middle of hurricane season. You can check out the dates of recent hurricane activity at hurricanecity.com

http://www.hurricanecity.com/city/cancun.htm

Have a great time!

Shaky

nyc
Level Contributor
649 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricanes?

I am also planning on traveling in mid September 10 - 17. Is this part of the rainy season or still considered summer time ? I am also hoping for calm sea conditions. We have always gone to the Carribean around Thanksgiving time, but want to try September.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,573 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricanes?

The weather can be very variable, of course, but mid-September is not the middle of the hurricane season in this region. At the worst it's at the very start of the hurricane season here, which is really more focused on October. Even hurricane "season" is misleading as many time there are no hurricanes here.

Last year, for example, while Florida got hit with 4 hurricanes, none visited the RM, the closest being Hurrican Ivan, which went across the western tip of Cuba on a northerly track and thus whipped up the winds and waves here for about 36 hours. Not much of a hurricane "season." The previous year we got nothing, and the year before that we got effects only from Hurricane Isidore, though that did most of its damage over Merida, a drive of 4-5 hours inland and west of here, closer to the gulf shore than to this one.

Steve

Encinitas, CA
Level Contributor
233 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricanes?

No doubt hurricanes are rare, but you can judge for yourself when hurricane season actually is. Here are the hurricanes that have impacted Cancun since 1900 (courtesy, www. hurricancecity.com):

Sept 13, 2004

Oct 9, 1995

Sept 14, 1988

Oct 7, 1966

Aug 28, 1942

Aug 15, 1938

Sept 22, 1933

Oct 19, 1922

Basically that's 3 in October, 3 in September. and 2 in August. There are also other hurricanes that impacted the weather in Cancun, but didn't actually hit (according to hurricanecity, those come along once every 2.58 years).

Overall, the weather is supposed to be nice in September.

I hope you have good weather whenever you decide to go!

Shaky

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,573 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurricanes?

Thanks for this! Actually what I like best about it is that it overwhelmingly corroborates my main point, which is that it's really quite misleading to refer to it as "hurricane season" every year, as if hurricanes hit with the annual regularity, like annual flower types that always bloom or a sport that always comes around without fail. If we only got hit by 8 hurricanes in 105 years, that means that over 92% of the years passed without a hurricane!

It's worth mentioning as well that even the ones passing by (which you mention only do so once every 2-3 years on average, also excellent odds for the tourist) sometimes HELP various parts of the region in the long run. Ivan was a great boon to many stretches of beach I saw, for example. In our area it raised the level of the beach some 4-5 feet vertically, for example.

So I'd say good news all around on the hurricane front! :-)

Steve

Tennessee
Level Contributor
544 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurricanes?

Well, I guess a better questions is....which month sees the most rainfall in the Cancun/Maya Riviera area?

It looks like the odds are with the tourist when it comes to hurricanes but who wants to be at a resort for a week or two during constant rainshowers?

We've been travelling to Mexico every May for several years. I would like to go during another month but it has been a hard sell for the rest of the group. Just how rainy is it (usually) during the months of June, July, August and September?

Thanks,

Landrum

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,573 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurricanes?

Info I found reports a historical average of 8 "wet days" (= how much rain?) in October and 7 such days in September for this region, the nubmer 1 and 2 months for that here. However you'll note that even at that, you'll note that's a total of a week's worth of days each month. So it would be remarkably unusual to have rain throughout a given week or two, as you say.

For the record the same report lists June and December as tied for third with 6 wet days.

Steve

Menasha WI
Level Contributor
680 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurricanes?

I couldn't resist any longer.

Steve you have the patients of a saint! The 3rd weather related question you responded to today and no (or at least not much) sarcasm used.

They are so lucky to have you responding on this forum and not James.

Keep smiling :)

And oh by the way what about March during peepfest, is it going to be nice everyday??

oops, just kidding.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
544 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurricanes?

Well, there is a difference. I wasn't asking..."Hey, I'm going to be in Cancun nest Tuesday, what is the weather going to look like?". The history of hurricanes was being discussed so why not the average rainfall as well?

Landrum

Daytona Beach...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hurricanes?

Interesting posts.. I am gonna be there Sept 25th and I am hoping for great weather.. it has to be nice some of the time if not all of the time, right?