We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricanes?

New York
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hurricanes?

We are planning to go away in the middle of September for our one year wedding anniversary. I know that is hurricane season in many places. Didn't matter last year cause we went toHawaii but now it kind of stinks!

We are looking at ASP....does anyone know if this area gets hit with hurricanes frequently and how the weather is in September?

Thanks!

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
9,148 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Hurricanes?

Well I know James and he's a nice guy, truly, who truly wants to be helpful. He is by nature more along the lines of a curmudgeon, but of late has been a kindler, gentler James, I think.

Steve

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
764 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hurricanes?

I know PDC is about 40 miles south of Cancun, but I went to Cancun last year on Sept. 28. Hurricane Ivan actually did wreak havoc on certain beaches/resorts in Cancun and nearby Isla Mujeres. The hurricane, which I think somebody on this forum said hit Sept. 13 last year, wiped out the once wide and beautiful beaches in parts of the hotel zone.

I am going to be vacationing in PDC or Playacar Sept. 29 this year. Hopefully there won't be any hurricanes! I was a little worried last year, as I had not bought travel insurance!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
419 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Saskatoon Sask
Level Contributor
896 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Hurricanes?

I enjoyed this post also and want to toss a bouquet to Steve for coming back on board. Missed your knowlege and helpfullness during your leave of absence.

Also could not help passing along a chuckle. On our first trip to Playa in 2002, as we were in the van being delivered to Azteca. We were driving through way deep ponds of water in town. Being a newbie to PDC I asked the van driver "when does it rain the most in Playa Del Carmen?" His answer was "Last Night". When our van full heard that one we all roared. Poor dirver did not get the joke.

Point being. Everybody complains about the weather, but nobody does a thing to make it better. GO, ENJOY, RELAX. If it rains it will be a warm rain.

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Knoxville, TN
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Hurricanes?

I have traveled to Cancun once in September and once in October without major difficulty from rain and certainly no hurricanes. However, I did have friends who traveled in September several years ago and a tropical storm hit the area and blew some windows out of their hotel. I believe as other posters have stated that this is a rare occurence. Overall, I found the weather to be much nicer in the fall than when we visited in May. My husband and extended family plan to travel again this fall without worry. If you are very concerned I would suggest travel insurance.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico