We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone else freaked out by the recent review about Secrets?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlottesville, VA
Level Contributor
108 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone else freaked out by the recent review about Secrets?

We leave in 2 weeks with 4 other couples--and I am the one that chose Secrets Capri! I would die if anyone got food poisoning as mentioned in the review posted on 4/15.

I realize that no resort is 100% perfect yet this is just plain scary.

Are there any words of reassurance out there?

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone else freaked out by the recent review about Secrets?

I read the review too and can see why it would freak you out. Keep in mind if it were a real problem you would read many other reviews and posts regarding the food making people sick at Secrets.

We've been to Mexico several times and have never had a problem. But, there are so many variables when you vacation in a foreign country and not everyone's stomach can take the variety of ingredients and spices they use in Mexico. We've met people on past vacations who have had too many fruity drinks, lots of alcohol in the sun, not drank enough water etc. all of which can make you sick. We always pack Imodium, Pepto and other meds just in case but have yet to use them.

Just be smart, relax and enjoy your trip! We will be there in 10 days. Can't wait!

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone else freaked out by the recent review about Secrets?

I'm only freaked out because after my Jan and Apr 08 trips to the Marival Grand, Nuevo Vallarta and Club Med Pacific Ixtapa, I have to wait till Nov or Dec for the next one. Ratz!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
569 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone else freaked out by the recent review about Secrets?

We've been to Secrets 6 times in the past 4 years! Not once have we ever even felt the least bit queasy!

Sit back and relax and prepare yourself for a relaxing and enjoyable break from the real world!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone else freaked out by the recent review about Secrets?

We stayed at Secrets in March and had absolutely no problem with the food or water......or drinks.

I took a small pharmacy with me (Imodium, gravol, pepto etc.) anticipating the worst, and never used anything while we were there.

I must say the buffet at Riviera where you can see everything sitting on ice, does allow you to make choices re: fresh, and know that salad dressings etc have been properly refrigerated. We ate all our breakfasts and most lunches there, partly for that reason.

There was obviously a common ingredient in the dining experiences of the guests who were ill that was the problem. Terribly unfortunate, but highly unlikely to occur again. Of all the reviews I read before booking looking for exactly that sort of problem, I didn't encounter one.

You'll have a great holiday!

Seattle
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone else freaked out by the recent review about Secrets?

Was there in July and never had a problem. They didn't mention how much they were drinking everyday! You can only put so many drinks down a day and expect your system to act normal.

My advice, relax and get ready for a great trip. Everything will be great, but I am sure nothing will be perfect where ever you go!

Two weeks out, maybe its time to stop reading the reviews. Every resort has negative posts.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone else freaked out by the recent review about Secrets?

I too "need a vaca" am a little freaked out also!!! My husband and I will be there from the 4-11th of May (my husband has never been to Mexico) and if I showed him this review he would probably cancel the trip or just not eat...due to the fact that when I was there in '88 (Acapulco)I did become sick !!!

This is great to hear prior to our Anniversary Trip there, and to boot we are already having a problem with our room reservation ..as we have paid for a Jr Ste O/V and are being told that we have a Deluxe O/V...sounds like its starting already !!!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone else freaked out by the recent review about Secrets?

cruise~ It took almost 20 years to get my dh back to Mexico after a very bad stay in Puerto Vallarta so I was very relieved we had a perfect holiday at Secrets.......

Hope the room situation works out for you!

PA
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone else freaked out by the recent review about Secrets?

Yes! I was freaked out at first, but I've since calmed down. I've read a ton of really positive reviews so I'm assuming this is an isolated incident. I also read a tip on TA that I'm going to use before I head down in Oct. It said to eat yogurt every day for a few weeks leading up to the trip. It can't hurt.

I hope you have a great trip. Be sure to report back here and let us know what you thought about Secrets.

Oklahoma city...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone else freaked out by the recent review about Secrets?

We take peptol bismol 2 a day for 3 days before we go and while we are there. Just stay away from fruits that have not been peeled, and the salad bar.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone else freaked out by the recent review about Secrets?

Like many other responses, we've been to Secrets Capri twice now (going back for our 3rd trip in less than 2 weeks!) We have never had an issue with the food there. You will love Secrets Capri! Do not be scared in the least bit...