We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gas Prices?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SFBayArea...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Gas Prices?

Can anyone advise about the current gas prices in the Cancun/Playa del Carmen area? Our family of 4 has a trip planned in June and have reserved a rental car so that we can see the area on our own schedule. In the SF Bay Area we are currently hovering in the $4/gal range. Is the price comparable or are we in for a shock? Thanks!

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gas Prices?

state controls the prices- so you never see posted at the stations like we do in the US. so not sure

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
337 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gas Prices?

We just returned and out of sheer curiosity we asked as the stations do not advertise their price. Our cab driver mentioned $2.00 a gallon.

wdl
Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
232 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gas Prices?

I did a little of googling and found the price of $6.70 Mexican pesos per liter for magna (regular). I think premium is $8.44 MXN

My conversion calculator brought me something like $25.50 MXN per gallon (something between $2 to $2.5 USD per gallon, depends on the daily exchange rate and your bank transaction fees).

Northfield, New...
Level Contributor
370 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gas Prices?

wow, if that $2.50 is true or even close, maybe the US should start drilling for oil in Alaska.

San Fran is $4, Jersey is $3.45 and England is a whopping $10 per gallon.

wdl
Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
232 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gas Prices?

Last week, Fox6 posted that truck drivers in San Diego are crossing the border (and paying something like $1000 for a permit) simply to fill their tanks.

I really don't want to make much controversy here, especially on a hot topic like this, but it seems that the major reason for cheaper gas prices in Mexico, according to the news above, is price control: all gas stations are labeled PEMEX - often government concessions - and prices are the same all over the country, also set by the government.

It also doesn't help that the dollar is extremely cheap.

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gas Prices?

Can we have some kind of price control in the US? Southern California $3.91 per gallon . With 2 vehicles and one traveling over 100 miles each day....$$$$$!

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gas Prices?

Please, please, please give me your problemo -correct here in England a gallon of fuel reached new heights today of £5 a gallon ($10+) 75% of that is TAX (indirect tax as the government call it, lovely jubilee) Well, someone’s got to pay for our national health service (Free Hospital treatment for all) which is the biggest employer in Europe!

only cost me $280 this week for fuel,so far!

Here & p i s s ed off

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gas Prices?

We were in 3 major tourists ares of Mexico this year and i believe it was 77 pesos per litre. Still cheaper than the U.S. So you should have a happy vacation.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gas Prices?

Magna (normal) gas is around 7.04 pesos per liter (around 2.50 USD per gallon). It does vary a little by region but not by much because all gas is distributed by PEMEX which is government owned. (There's a big debate in Mexico currently about whether PEMEX should be privatized or not.) So it's cheaper than almost everywhere in the U.S. and a LOT cheaper than Europe where governments tax gas as an incentive to get people to drive smaller cars.

SFBayArea...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gas Prices?

Thanks for all the info fellow advisors... It sounds like we might actually SAVE on fuel costs during our visit, considering what we've been paying here.