We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

resort help please! RIU, IB* barcelo!

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
347 posts
1 review
Save Topic
resort help please! RIU, IB* barcelo!

Hello all! Hubby and I taking a trip to PDC in October! Have been to MANY 5* AIs in the Carribean, and need some help deciding between 4 resorts. We need:

-Good beach with plenty of palapas/umbrellas/trees etc. or at least a "not too croded" beach feel

-Good food and drink, preferably with room service available

-clean safe accomodations.

Please let me know, out of these, which would be our best bet?:

RIU Palace Riviera Maya

IB* Parisio LINDO

Barcelo Maya Palace (i hear they dont have room service)

Sirenis Riviera Maya (is this too far from PDC??? and i hear you can only eat at 4 specialty restaurants per one week stay!)

These resorts are the ones that we would like to stick to for financial reasons, so ANY insight on the 4 of these is MUCH appreciated!! THANKS TO ALL!!!

Hagerstown, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: resort help please! RIU, IB* barcelo!

Hi Sun,

Just got back yesterday from Riu Palace Mexico. We met guests who were staying at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya but came to our resort every day. They said the beach at the RM was terrible and the bar was far from the beach. The beach at the Mexico was the best in the area, however they were pumping sand all week. They did make some headway and the beach looked much better by the time we left. I have pics I will be posting when I do my review. The one issue about the Riu properties I didn't like was the reservation system for the ala carte restaurants. You had to go in person between 8:30 and 10 a.m. and you could only reserve for that night. The lines formed by 8:00 and it was difficult to get the restaurant you wanted. They did offer room service, but we didn't try it. The buffet food was better than most AI I've been to. There are no palapas, but there are plenty of palm trees. There are hammocks on the beach, too. They had Absolut and Smirnoff vodka, Bacardi and Havana Club rum, Beefeater and Gordons gin, Don Julio and Cuervo tequila, Corona and Modelo beer, J & B, Johnny Walker Red, Jim Beam, and more. The room was very clean and I felt very safe. I have not stayed at your other choices so I can't help you compare. Have a great trip!

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,804 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: resort help please! RIU, IB* barcelo!

Glad you had a great time at our favourite resort Vacation-Loca, going back for another 2 weeks in Dec. The reservation system of being there at 8:30 doesn't bother me because that's when we're down there for breakfast anyways but it sure bothers me that they keep changing their system. One day it's you can only reserve for that night, then another day it's you can reserve for that night and the next, or another day it's any two nights that week. But one nice thing about the Rius is you can eat in the specialty restaurants every night if you want to, you're not limited to two or three a week. But we've always found there is such a variety of food in the buffet we generally don't eat in the specialty restaurants more than once or twice a week.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: resort help please! RIU, IB* barcelo!

The Barcelo Palace has 24-hour room service.

barcelo.com/BarceloHotels/…Home.htm

4. Re: resort help please! RIU, IB* barcelo!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 18:19