We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silliest Reasons

Reading, UK
Level Contributor
473 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
Silliest Reasons

What is the silliest reason you've heard for not returning to a hotel?

I've just got back from PDC and the reason for a fellow guest's refusal to return to the Riu Yucatan is that they didn't have the tv channels we watch in England! I was speechless to say the least. I admit that I've watched some football matches when away but I would never let sport or the lack of English programmes cloud my choice of hotel. Unbelievable!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Silliest Reasons

Probably the worst reason I've heard so far is people complaining about the lack of English spoken there....c'mon now. That is just crazy.

I've also heard many complaints about the TV situation. I still can't understand why people go on vacation if all they want to do is watch TV all the time. The place we went for the past two years had about 10 channels and I think about 7 were in Spanish. My friend and I stayed in a room together and the only time we watched TV is right before we went to sleep. We usually watched the Spanish channels b/c we were both learning how to speak the language at the time and thought it was a good way for us to practice. Some people aren't that tolerant I guess!

Another goofy one I heard recently is somebody said the toilet in her bathroom pinched her leg....I still feel like that's reaching a bit!

I've heard so many silly complaints people come up with, it's unreal. These are just a few of the worst ones I've ever heard!

Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silliest Reasons

While staying at the Riu Palace recently s gentleman told me that the food was not as good as it had been. I couldn't imagine it being any better. I questioned him about particulars and he said they had not sliced his desert cake as thin as he would have liked, it was too ohunky. Huh???

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Silliest Reasons

Hahahah, that's funny ^^^^^^

Now THAT is ridiculous....

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silliest Reasons

"It rained too much while we were there." Unfortunately, the hotel cannot control the weather.

"The water in the pool was too cold." (This was in February)

"They didn't put enough alcohol in the drinks." For Pete's sake! It's AI - ask for an extra shot!

"There were too many kids running around by the pool." (This was a complaint made for a resort that offered kids under 12 stay free....go figure?

and the winner is..........

"I didn't like the color scheme in my room." You're not buying the place, just staying there for a week.

Beechluver

Reading, UK
Level Contributor
473 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Silliest Reasons

Oh, I heard the 'It's too hot here' reason from the same person as well. It's Mexico for goodness sake, what do people expect the temperatures to be like, the North Pole??

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Silliest Reasons

They didn't warn me about topless sunbathers. Dah!!

Can't wear my dripping wet bathing suit into the buffet for lunch. Dah # 2!

I couldn't get into my room until after 3 the day I arrived. Dah # 3!

Just to mention a few.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
484 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Silliest Reasons

I honestly think it's reasonable for upper management to be expected to speak English if the hotel is catering to a North American clientele. While a large number of situations can be handled with basic Spanish, a much more sophisticated grasp is required for dealing with serious problems.

More importantly, company reps need to understand the languages of their clientele.

Last, is Mexico experiencing labor shortages as lack of staff seems to be a common complaint all around?

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Silliest Reasons

Too many locals around.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Silliest Reasons

My all time favorite came from my idiot of a brother in law. The first time they went to Mexico...after my husband and I talked it up with how much we love it....he came back and said there were too many Mexican people there. WTF....It's MEXICO you frickin idiot.

LI, NY
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Silliest Reasons

Cool...,

What are you doing on cyber space - I guess you just cant help yourself. =)

Enjoy the vacation!