We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you wish you had packed but didn't?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
What do you wish you had packed but didn't?

Only 4 weeks until our trip to Grand Sunset Princess and I'm shopping. I always seem to overpack but then not have what I want. This year I am determined to pack only what we need but would hate to forget the essentials. So, just wondering what everyone who has returned wishes they had put in their luggage???

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
357 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you wish you had packed but didn't?

hi all! i always wish that i had plastic bags to put stuff in like damp swimsuits, sandy shoes, opened lotions and shampoos etc...

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you wish you had packed but didn't?

http://www.mapchick.com/packing_list.html or

do a search on here "what to pack"

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
357 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you wish you had packed but didn't?

mnviking45 has a good packing list too <chuckle>

(just search "packing list" in the search forum box and look for mnviking45's reply in the 3rd topic down..ENJOY!!)

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you wish you had packed but didn't?

I wish I had taken more lightweight, casual sundresses and fewer "country club" type clothes. Also, at least 3 cover-ups or sarongs, 'cause you spend so much time in them. Swimsuits can take a long time to dry because of the humidity, so I would take at least 3 of those also.

And my usual contribution to packing threads -- Dramamine. Could help you avoid an afternoon spent in your room dying of motion sickness from a snorkeling trip, etc.

I see that mapchick's list include a "koozie." I wonder what that is.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,886 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you wish you had packed but didn't?

bubble wrap...good for wrapping breakable souvenirs.

spf lip balm

swim noodle or cheap raft

ALWAYS pack a can of Lysol! LOL

Dana

Ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you wish you had packed but didn't?

newtoplaya...

Around here a koozie is a type of can cooler, or holder, that keeps your hand dry but your beer cold. Good idea to put on our list!!

TA posters...Thanks for all the good ideas so far!! Any one else? Any major, "oh no, I can't believe I forgot....!"???

Missouri
Level Contributor
95 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you wish you had packed but didn't?

I always pack 1 or 2 trash bags to put my dirty clothes in. It helps me stay organized and remember what is dirty and what is clean. I brought one but my husband didn't (even though I mentioned it to him) and he wished he would have brought one too. And when its time to leave I just put the trash bag in my suitcase and it's already together when I take it out to do laundry.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
327 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you wish you had packed but didn't?

a small flashlite with the batteries (remove batteries before flying - so light doesn't go on and burn out batteries)

Have been to Punta Cana and had several outages there

Mexico trip in March - storm blew in and lights went out for 45 minutes.

Gave this tip to a friend who took one to Costa Rica and sure enough the power failed where he was staying!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you wish you had packed but didn't?

I too pack a trash bag or laundry bag to pack dirty clothes in. I put dirty clothes in one suitcase and clean in another, especially if I over pack!! Walmart plastic bags work well too to isolate the wet, smelly clothes!!

Another item I pack is Desitin, diaper rash cream, for my boys. The salt water eats at their legs from the mesh swim shorts lining. It was a God send this past time! ( Last time I had to purchase there and it was hard to find and was expensive when we did.)

Extra sturdy sandles, especially for the wet marble and cobblestone floors! They can be very slippery and the cobblestone eats up the cheap sandles!!

Just a few tips!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you wish you had packed but didn't?

I take along my TA backpack so I can put what I buy while in town. It frees up my hands so I can carry my beer. The TA backpack is so lightweight it takes up very little space in my suitcase. Also doubles as a carryon when I have to gate check my wheeled carryon on the smaller planes. Just pack a couple magazines and snacks before I board.