We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Insurance = Garbage

jersey
Level Contributor
112 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Insurance = Garbage

This is just my opinion but good luck to any of you who choose to get insurance and then want to claim your money if you lose any of your vacation time. By the time you get any money back if in fact you do you might get a 1/3 of your hotel only which if you think insuring for $100 is good then go ahead.

Trip insurance is any easy way for companies to make an easy $100.

Dont do it!

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
847 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Insurance = Garbage

Please share your expierence as it may be a little more helpful than just don't do it? We always get the trip insurance but I often wondered what it would be like to make a claim if needed? Who were you booked through and insured through?

Thanks,

Cobalt

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
568 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Insurance = Garbage

I have had to use my trip insurance only once (thankfully), but it was no hassel and I received a prompt full refund of my trip price. I had cancel for any reason through an agent using Travel Impressions.

We were booked for Sandals Whitehouse for Thanksgiving 2005. We had booked well in advance. In the meantime, I became pregnant with my beautiful daughter. We still planned to go and relax even though I wouldn't get to do many excursions or enjoy any of the included alcohol. Two days before we were supposed to leave, the morning sickness was so bad that I couldn't walk down a flight of stairs or take an elevator without getting sick. The thought of a plane ride and a 1 1/2 hour trip through the mountains of Jamaica was just too much for me to handle, so we cancelled. One phone call to my travel agent and within a couple of weeks, I had a refund check for the full amount of the trip.

I am so glad we had it. I can't imagine what a miserable trip that would have been for me.

I have a friend who had to cancel at the last minute due to the death of his grandmother. He too had no problems making a claim or getting a refund.

It's insurance. Hopefully you'll never need it, but when you do, you are sure glad you have it.

Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Insurance = Garbage

Used Apple insurance last year when my father-in-law passed away. We received the entire amount (airfare and hotel) minus cost of insurance right back into our account.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Insurance = Garbage

Hmmmmm, I have used trip insurance for a trip planned during a little storm called Wilma, saved me about 4 large.

So I say, buy the insurance and get some piece of mind.

Montreal
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Insurance = Garbage

Trip Insurance should not be confused with "medical Insurance".

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
183 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Insurance = Garbage

Like anything else, you have to read the fine print. We just booked for this September and I was unwilling to go with anything but the "cancel for any reason" insurance. You have to pay attention so you know what you're getting. I don't want to have a situation where a hurricane comes through in August, ruins the resort we plan to stay in and then get stuck going to a partially operational resort because the hurricane isn't during the planned trip.

We also took advantage of our trip insurance due to Wilma in 2005 and got a full refund. Also, because we rebooked to Cabo, we were refunded the cost of the insurance as well, this was through Apple.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Insurance = Garbage

esgordon-

We also used Travel Impressions "cancel for any reason" insurance. Incurred an unexpected financial emergency before our trip and wanted to keep our money from vacation in the bank. As a result, we filed the paperwork and got reimbursed (faster than expected - I think within 2 weeks) for EVERYTHING with the exception of the insurance itself.

We travel during hurricane season just because it is least expensive and we want to get the most bang for our buck and because of our past experiences with trip insurance, I get it everytime now because you never know what may happen.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
847 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Insurance = Garbage

As I suspected it is worth every penny to purchase the insurance! Great stories from those who have needed it.

Thanks,

Cobalt

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Insurance = Garbage

we book thru funjet- got the insurance then price of trip went down- got refund. TA said got refund cuz we had the insurance

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Insurance = Garbage

We always get the travel insurance. Funjet & Apples both guarantee you the lowest price. If the price of your trip goes down after you purchase, you get a refund. I almost always get money back from price drops, enough to cover the ins. cost.

Also, make sure it includes emergency medical evacuation. Apple's ins. will pay your emergency medical transport back to your home up to $50,000.

Funjet's is up to $10,000. Something to consider, cause this could be a huge expense if you don't have ins.