We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So confused - thinking of changing my hotel - advice?

Saint Clair Shores...
Level Contributor
426 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
So confused - thinking of changing my hotel - advice?

the Reef Playacar to the Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda!

Was looking online and found that we could stay at the BBGE for only another $115 more than what we paid for our trip to the Reef.

I know the Reef is a much smaller hotel, limited dining ameneties, smaller beach and the reviews lately have not been good, but when we booked it was the only one that was in our price range. The air fare was the problem when we booked, but prices have dropped so now other hotels fall within our range.

I know that the BBGE is much bigger, has many more dining options, my guess the beach is bigger and they offer more options in the way of alcoholic beverages (Reef only offers one beer that's draft and the liquor choices were limited).

One of my concerns is the proximity of the two hotels. I do not want to be very far away from PDC. I beleive that the Reef is north (?) of PDC and only a 10 minute ($5 cab ride). Which way is BBGE and what would it cost to go to PDC. Also another concern was that we could not walk very far down the beach staying at the Reef. Anyone know how far we could walk, in either direction from BBGE? Would we be able to walk to PDC from the beach?

I know lots of questions, but I'm just not sure so looking for some advice from others that have traveled to this area before and know about both hotels, area....

As always, any advice is appreciated.

Rita

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So confused - thinking of changing my hotel - advice?

The Reef is South of PDC, the closest one in Playacar to PDC. We stayed there in 05.

http://intheroo.com/map.php

I would seriously consider changing.

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
496 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So confused - thinking of changing my hotel - advice?

You can walk to PDC from the Reef in about 10 minutes, while the BBGE will require a short cab ride. However, I would defintaely change. The beach is almost non-existent at the Reef, and it is a much older resort.

CANCUN
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: So confused - thinking of changing my hotel - advice?

Change if you can, I live in Cancun, and I know what Im telling you,you will have to pay for a cab to go to PDC, but the hotel is much better.

Guillermo

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
496 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So confused - thinking of changing my hotel - advice?

Did you switch??

Saint Clair Shores...
Level Contributor
426 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So confused - thinking of changing my hotel - advice?

I actually did end up switching hotels. The only reason that we booked the Reef Playacar was that it fell within our budget. As I said the airfare out of Detroit was a killer and that made the choice of hotels limited. I was not having good feelings about the choice I had made.

I booked the BBGE this week. Called Expedia and had no problems and they didn't charge me anything extra because I had bought the cancellation policy. Well worth the money we paid. We only had to pay the difference in cost between the hotels which came out to be $116. That extra cost is well worth the piece of mind I now have.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
268 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So confused - thinking of changing my hotel - advice?

Booking from Detroit is never a cheap idea for All inclusive deals.. Why not travel the 4 hours to toronto next time? We drive to detroit all the time to fly to vegas (insanely cheaper). It seems inane to go to Toronto for most people, but ironically its quite a bit cheaper for all inclusive vacations from toronto. For example, we're going to the BBGE from toronto from sept 6-13 (7 days) for $776 CDN per person including all taxes. You do get hit with our high taxes for flights, but theres a much larger volume of all inclusive vacations sold here, which makes it cheaper in the end. I hate to guess what you paid... :\

7. Re: So confused - thinking of changing my hotel - advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 23:17