We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chair-saving--but not what you think!

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vermont
Level Contributor
218 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Chair-saving--but not what you think!

I hope this is a somewhat different question. Let's say you go out to your resort beach and find all of the chairs with towels on them. Nothing else, just towels.

What happens if you just move the towel off a couple and sit down?

I wouldn't get into an arguement with anyone who came up and insisted the chairs were "saved", but why not enjoy them until/unless someone speaks up?

I'm savy enough that if people walked up and gave me the "once-over" with dismayed expressions on their faces, I'd figure it out--even with a language barrier.

Just wanted to see if anyone had tried this--and with what results.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,886 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chair-saving--but not what you think!

I say, scope out the scene first. The chair savers could be enjoying a dip in the ocean/pool or building a sand castle with their kids.

Otherwise if the towels look smooth and undisturbed, then by all means go for it especially if the resort has a no chair-saving policy.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chair-saving--but not what you think!

I agree with roostergirl, but I'd move the chair to another location so they wouldn't know it was me. ;-)

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chair-saving--but not what you think!

Be sure and cover your tracks after you drag them to where you want them. :-)

Boylston...
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chair-saving--but not what you think!

I was headed to the beach and put my beach bag on a

totally unoccupied chair while I went to get my towel

about ten feet away. All of a sudden some guy came

charging out of the pool yelling and screaming that

I took his chair. He said his towel was on the chair

two away but he was saving all three. He was a total

jerk and it took all I had not to push him back in

the pool and hold him under. His language and manner

were just not called for. I should have called security but figured it just wasn't worth it. Also,

important to note, this was about 9:30 in the morning

before the bars opened!!!!

Advance, North...
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chair-saving--but not what you think!

If it is just a towel don't move it and you can always play dumb and say something like Oh, I'm so sorry I thought the resort put these towels on all the chairs for anyone to use.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chair-saving--but not what you think!

Why not just get down earlier and get your own chair, instead of taking someone elses?

Or bring up the problem with the resort and why there are not enough chairs.

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chair-saving--but not what you think!

Because the jerks that try to save chairs are wrong and at fault. There are normally enough chairs for those on the beach-but not enough for the supreme beings who want to lounge in their room after saving enough chairs for the entire entourage. Pretty simple concept for most adults-don't lay your precious stuff on chairs until you are ready to use them. DUH!

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Chair-saving--but not what you think!

I remember reading about one resort that was having big problems with guests playing the towel game, so the resort attendants started putting a towel on each chair early every morning. I guess the thinking was that if there was only a towel and no other personal belongings, the chair was up for grabs.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chair-saving--but not what you think!

Ahhh, the good old chair hog thread once again.

Fortunately our resort has a 'no chair saving policy', so when I want a chair and they have towels, cheap sunglasses and books on them, I just move the crap and take a seat. Done.

This age old problem will continue as long as the world is filled with self centered, rude people that have a distorted impression that they are somehow entitled to property that does not belong to them.

They’re the same folks that speed up to prevent you from merging on the highway. 'How dare you take that piece of highway in front of me!!! That's mine!!!"

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chair-saving--but not what you think!

NTP-The chair hogs probably started stealing the towels.