We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean Maya

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean Maya

Just booked to go October 25th, hopefully no storms, anyone know the email for the hotel, what the beach is like, and any helpful hints for this resort

Thanks

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean Maya

Also looking for a map of the resort help!!

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean Maya

Thanks to Jodester here on TA I did find a map. Do a Google image search for "webshots h10 Hacienda Maya map" and you should find it. She recently got home from there and may be back on this forum to answer some questions!

I will be there at the same time - 10/22 - 10/29. We are 46 and 52. My husband will be the bearded guy affixed to the pool bar!

Also, FYI, Jodester says all of the restaurants are not open due to it being the slow season.

Toronto
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean Maya

We're heading there November 28th for a week. Not expecting anything overly special cuz of the price we paid, but needed a getaway.

Anyone know if there are any upgrades? (rooms, etc.?)

Thanks.

Toronto
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean Maya

Also - Air Transat mentions there's free daily shuttles to PDC - can anyone confirm that?

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean Maya

My understanding is that the shuttle runs between noon and 4:30 only and you have to reserve it. So it may be good for getting there but not necessarily for returning. I don't know how long the entrance road is into the resort, but aren't there also "ADO" buses and "colectivos" vans which run along the highway and will stop and pick you up? Cheaper than a taxi.

Toronto
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean Maya

Thanks, that's very useful information.

Neenah,WI
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocean Maya

For everyone who is headed to Ocean Maya,

My hubby and I just returned home Oct.1st from Ocean Maya. We too were not expecting much from this resort due to the price we paid,the limited info. we could find on the resort, and the fact that its only a 4 star. Having said that, you all can relax!!! The resort is very clean, beautiful grounds, good food, nice beach, nice rooms ( we had room 1207 oceanview, it rocked!!!), friendly staff, and the list goes on. This was our 15th trip in 8 years and the first 4 star we've stayed in and we were pleasantly suprised. There is a shuttle that runs to and from Playa from the resort, every hour I believe. There is also room upgrades for $350.00 for a week. The up grade gets you premium booze, but so does a tip of a couple of bucks. A tip goes along way at this resort, they would have our drinks ready when they saw us coming. I hope you all listen to my next 2 piece's of advice, first and foremost, lock your valueable's up, gal from Canada got ripped off of her cash and credit cards. We lock our stuff inside our suitcases, only because I'm sure theres a master key for thier safes. Also, bring bug spray, the mosquito's were AWEFUL, people had huge welts all over thier bodies from the bites. We couldn't even pee in our room without having them buzzing us. One last thing, if you are traveling with teens, we wittnessed the bartenders serving kids well under drinking age, not sure where thier parents were, but holy cow not a pretty sight. I'm more than happy to ask any other questions. Have a safe and fun trip!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ocean Maya

Well Jodester - thank you VERY MUCH for your comments. Sounds like you're a seasoned traveller so that definitely relieves some of my stress. Our last two trips to the Riviera Maya were at 5 + star resorts so...but this time cost was a huge factor so I decided to go with it.

I don't think I'm much interested in upgrading just for premium liquor - but do you get a better room location? Did you do it?

I heard about the mosquitos, but thought maybe that was just people overly complaining. Why are they so bad there? Is there a better room location to ask for to avoid them?

I really appreciate your advice about locking things up. That is unfortunate, but good to be aware of.

How long is the bus ride from the airport to the resort? AT says 40 mins, but how long is it really?

Sorry for all the questions....

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ocean Maya

What a relief, to hear from someone who has been here!!! We were getting a little (or a lot worried) we are a group of 4 couples 40's (and young 50's)!Looking for a great time without our kids! First time to venture to Mexico, past five years have been Cuba, time for a change. Well here comes the questions:

can you snorkel in front of the resort

what is the beach like for walking

are drinks available 24 hours

was the disco busy, and can you get drinks there

do they celebrate Halloween,or we be the only crazy Canadians dressed up, time to visit the dollar store!

do people take gifts to leave in the room, or leave money for tips

do you know the email, would like to request rooms together

ok, think that's it for now:)

Thanks

Neenah,WI
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ocean Maya

Hopefully I will remember all the questions I'm going to try to answer for you(s).As far as I know the upgrade is going to get you premium booze and water, soda and beer in the room fridge, other wise you just get water. And leaving a tip with a note for beer DOES NOT work, trust me. The best rooms for oceanview are in buildings 10, 11, and 12 top floor. This is a small resort so not alot of walking from point a to point b. Mosquitos, I'm assumming they are so HORRIBLE because it is the rainy season, it rained almost every day we were there for a short amount of time. My hubby left his snorkle gear behind this trip. There were people snorkling in front of the resort, and also taking snorkel tours off the resort at the dive shop. Drive from airport is 30-35 minutes if you don't have to stop at other resorts for drop offs. Disco, did not go, but our neighbors did every night until about 3 in the morning. Beach to the right of the resort is great for long and safe walks. Tips, we use to travel with small gifts, but with the airlines and the weight of what you can bring before getting charged an arm and leg we bring 200 in singles. Halloween, It often looks like halloween every day without the costumes,not sure if they celabrate or not. Now the ever so important email address, h10.hacienda.maya@h10.es thats the reservations manager, his name is Fabio. Hopefully I covered all your questions for now anyways. Relax guys your in for a great relaxing vacation!!!