We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre Loaded Visa question.

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Pre Loaded Visa question.

Has anyone used a pre loaded visa card in Mexico? We only have a Master Card and had trouble using it there last time and wondered about loading a visa say with 500.00 for the trip and it will be there if we need it.

Also can we use that for our check in for the incidentials? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance?

duluth,mn
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre Loaded Visa question.

i just used a mastercard for a vacation deposit and was charged a 3% foreign trans fee.i have used visa before and never was charged a fee.it will be interesting to see what replies you get.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre Loaded Visa question.

My master card was denied several times while there and wondered about visa. I just would like a back up and it seems safe enough since there is only so much on it. Plus transaction fees are not fun!

Thanks From:ddcile5

terre haute, indiana
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre Loaded Visa question.

well, we use our debit card which is a visa. we go through a credit union so that 3% transaction fee is not applicable. we call before we go so they can put something in our file that allows our card to be used overseas. some cards don't just work, you have to call the cc company. that is for your protection.

we were gonna load a prepaid visa too, but they charge that fee and i just like the credit union better. i recommend your bank who personally knows you or your credit card comp.

good luck!

Kingwood TX
Level Contributor
284 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre Loaded Visa question.

I too was considering a pre loaded card.

All my bank accts are linked together so If someone got my info they could clean me out.. I wanted to load a VISA with like 1k so thats the max I could lose... anyone?????

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre Loaded Visa question.

Our bank just charges $2.50 for the pre loaded visa and I REALLY do think I am going to do it, just wondered if anyone else has used one before to make sure they DO work there.

I too am worreid about my debit card as my paycheck goes into that account and I get paid while we are gone and do not want someone to have access to that, or we may not have much to eat when we get back. :)

Just kidding but you know what I mean!!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre Loaded Visa question.

I would think as long as the visa numbers are like the regular visa cards, it shouldn't be a problem using it. If it has numbers like a debit card, that may cause problems, especially for hotel incidentals, renting cars, etc. Some places won't take a debit card even if it's used as a credit card. Hopefully I haven't confused you.

Lake Placid, Florida
Level Contributor
620 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre Loaded Visa question.

This will answer a lot of questions that have come up here. The prepaid fees look expensive. I am going to open another checking account at my bank, and not have it linked to any others, and have a check card issued for that acct.

thereareplaces.com/infgdes/money/cashcard.htm

Kingwood TX
Level Contributor
284 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre Loaded Visa question.

Thanks thats a great Idea, I will talk to my bank about a special acct for the trip only...

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pre Loaded Visa question.

BroncoBill:

I was NOT looking at those. The ones I was looking at were Visa Gift cards loaded with money. Like the ones you give as gifts for a wedding. It is a regular visa that you put money on and it is 2.50 to buy one at my bank then you use it like a visa to pay for items. Not really a vacation card...... those DO seem expensive.

Do you think there is a difference between those two types of cards? I will have to ask my bank. :)

Thanks from:ddcile5

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,015 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pre Loaded Visa question.

This is an interesting question as we usually take traveller's checks. I know my bank and others are slowing getting rid of them. The travel card just doesn't sit well with me because of the fees or the fear of not being able to use it to get money.

As far as the card you are talking about, ddcile5, I'm not sure either, but think it would work exactly like a credit card and anyone that would accept it would.

But I would hate to get down there with that as my only spending source and find out it doesn't work. Ergo the trav chks (for us).